ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS
In 1865, Towson University originated as the State Normal School (Chapter 160, Acts of 1865). Opened in Baltimore City in 1866, the School was the first and, at that time, only institution devoted exclusively to the preparation of teachers for the public schools of Maryland. The School occupied four different sites in Baltimore City before moving to its present suburban location in 1915. The Bachelor of Science degree in education was established in 1935 when the school was renamed the Maryland State Teachers College at Towson (Chapter 554, Acts of 1935). In 1946, an arts and sciences program was introduced. The College increased its offerings in the arts and sciences and became Towson State College in 1963. Two years later, it began expanding its graduate program. The College was designated as Towson State University in 1976 and became part of the University of Maryland System in 1988 (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). When the System was renamed the University System of Maryland, the University became Towson University in 1997 (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).
Towson University is a liberal arts-based university serving the Baltimore metropolitan region. On a campus of over 300 acres, the school lies just north of Baltimore City. The University offers programs for the preparation and continuing education of teachers, business undergraduates, and other professionals, as well as programs in the fine arts and continuing education.
University System of Maryland
Maryland Independent Agencies
© Copyright July 06, 1998 Maryland State Archives
Maryland Manual On-Line, 1998
July 10, 1998
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites. View the current Manual