DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION


OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY

Appointed by the Governor, the Secretary of Transportation heads the Department. The Secretary chairs the Maryland Transportation Authority; the Maryland Port Commission; the Maryland Aviation Administration; the Maryland Greenways Commission; and the Governor's Motor Carrier Task Force for Safety and Uniformity. The Secretary also serves on the Governor's Executive Council; the Transportation Professional Services Selection Board; the Procurement Advisory Council; the Capital Debt Affordability Committee; the Maryland Economic Development Corporation; the State Information Technology Board; the Patuxent River Commission; and the Pricing and Selection Committee for Rehabilitation and Employment Programs. In addition, the Secretary is a member of the Maryland Civil War Heritage Commission; the Interagency Committee on Aging Services; the Interagency Economic Growth, Resource Protection, and Planning Committee; the Interagency Committee on Specialized Transportation; and the Interdepartmental Advisory Committee for Minority Affairs.

Under direction of the Secretary, the Department of Transportation oversees the Maryland Transportation Authority, and five administrations: Aviation, State Highway, Mass Transit, Motor Vehicle, and Port. Advising the Secretary on transportation matters are the Board of Airport Zoning Appeals; the Board of Review; the Maryland Transportation Commission; the Transportation Professional Services Selection Board; and the State Roads Commission (Code Transportation Article, secs. 2-101 through 2-103).

BOARD OF REVIEW
The Board of Review of the Department of Transportation hears and determines appeals from certain decisions of the Secretary of Transportation or of any agency within the Department.

The Board consists of seven members appointed to three-year terms by the Governor with the advice of the Secretary of Transportation and Senate advice and consent (Code Transportation Article, secs. 2-501 through 2-506).

MARYLAND TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION
Formed in 1970, the Maryland Transportation Commission studies the entire State transportation system (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970). It advises the Secretary of Transportation and Department administrators on policy and programs.

The Commission has seventeen members. Ten are appointed for three-year terms by the Governor with the advice of the Secretary of Transportation. The seven regional members of the State Roads Commission serve ex officio. The Governor names the chair (Code Transportation Article, secs. 2-201 through 2-205).

TRANSPORTATION PROFESSIONAL SERVICES SELECTION BOARD
The Transportation Professional Services Selection Board was created in 1974 (Chapter 732, Acts of 1974). For architectural or engineering services needed by the Department, the Board makes recommendations to the Board of Public Works on the award of contracts when the contract exceeds $100,000. Actions of the Selection Board are governed by the Maryland Procurement of Architectural and Engineering Services Act - Transportation Agencies (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 13-301 through 13-323) and the requirements of the State Procurement Regulations (COMAR 21.12.02).

The Board has four members. The Governor appoints two members to five-year terms and, upon recommendation of the Secretary of Transportation, selects one from the Department of Transportation. The Secretary of Transportation serves ex officio. On recommendation of the Secretary the Governor may name an alternate.


MARYLAND AVIATION COMMISSION

Established in 1994, the Maryland Aviation Commission oversees the Maryland Aviation Administration (Chapter 457, Acts of 1994). The Commission establishes policies for BWI Airport and approves policies and regulations for the operation of Martin State Airport and for major capital projects of the Administration.

Chaired by the Secretary of Transportation, the Commission includes nine members. Eight are named to three-year terms by the Governor with Senate advice and consent. One serves ex officio.

MARYLAND AVIATION ADMINISTRATION

P. O. Box 8766
BWI Airport, MD 21240 - 8766

Martin State Airport
P. O. Box 1
701 Wilson Point Road
Baltimore, MD 21220 - 0001

The Maryland Aviation Administration originated in 1929 when the State Aviation Commission was established (Chapter 318, Acts of 1929). The State Aviation Administration replaced the Commission and became a unit of the Department of Transportation in 1970 (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970). The Administration was renamed in 1989 as the Maryland Aviation Administration (Chapter 108, Acts of 1990). Under direction of the Maryland Aviation Commission since 1994, the Administration develops and operates airports and fosters and regulates aeronautical activity within the State.

Baltimore/Washington International (BWI) Airport, the State's major air carrier facility, is operated by the Administration. BWI Airport formerly was Friendship International Airport, which began operation in 1950. In 1972, the State was authorized to purchase Friendship International Airport from Baltimore City (Chapter 180, Acts of 1972). The Airport was renamed BWI in 1973. The Administration also supervises the operation of the Martin State Airport in Baltimore County. Martin was purchased by the State in 1975.

For safety, the Administration inspects and licenses commercial airports, air schools, and air school instructors. It fosters safety in aviation through educational seminars for pilots and mechanics and through its publications, including a combined Maryland airports directory and aeronautical chart.

The Administration provides technical and financial assistance to airport sponsors and owners in the preparation of master plans and in improvements to facilities. Standardized runway markings are applied and maintained at airports throughout the State. In cooperation with other agencies, the Administration has prepared a Maryland Aviation System Plan (Code Transportation Article, secs. 5-101 through 5-1105).

The Executive Director is appointed by the Secretary of Transportation with the Governor's approval and Maryland Aviation Commission advice.

Under the Administration are four main offices: Airport Operations; Business Administration; Marketing and Development; and Planning and Engineering.


STATE HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION

707 North Calvert St.
Baltimore, MD 21202

Created in 1970, the State Highway Administration constructs and maintains State roads and bridges (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970; Code Transportation Article, secs. 8-101 through 8-812). Prior to 1970, State highway programs had been administered by the State Roads Commission.

The State Highway Administrator is appointed by the Secretary of Transportation with the Governor's aproval. The State Highway Administrator is the Governor's Highway Safety Representative. Under the State Highway Administration, the State Highway Safety Program is conducted by the Office of Traffic and Safety (Code Transportation Article, secs. 2-401 through 2-409).

Under the State Highway Administration are the State Roads Commission, the District Engineers, and seven offices: Administration; Chief Engineer; Equal Employment Opportunity; Finance and Information Technology; Highway Policy Assessment; Planning and Preliminary Engineering; and Public Affairs.

STATE ROADS COMMISSION
P. O. Box 717
707 North Calvert St.
Baltimore, MD 21203 - 0717

Origins of the State Roads Commission date to 1904 when highway survey functions were assigned to the Maryland Geological and Economic Survey. In 1908, the State Roads Commission assumed those duties and additional responsibilities as well (Chapter 141, Acts of 1908). The Chair of the State Roads Commission was the Director of Highways. In 1970, the State Roads Commission became part of the Department of Transportation (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970). At that time, most Commission duties were assumed by the State Highway Administration, and the Director became State Highway Administrator.

The State Roads Commission authorizes condemnation proceedings to acquire property needed for highway purposes (Code Transportation Article, secs. 8-210 through 8-339; Constitution, Art. III, sec. 40B).

The Commission consists of eight members. Seven are appointed to five-year terms by the Secretary of Transportation with the Governor's approval. Serving part-time, they are appointed from seven geographic areas. The chair is the State Highway Administrator (Code Transportation Article, secs. 8-210 through 8-218).

DISTRICT ENGINEERS

District Engineers work to provide the traveling public with safe roads. Within their geographic areas, District Engineers administer and implement programs and policies of the State Highway Administration and Department of Transportation. They oversee bridge and road construction and maintenance; develop and manage district budgets; and recommend improvements for traffic.

The State Highway Administration has divided the State into seven engineering districts. District Engineers represent the State Highway Administration in all public matters at the district level. They also make recommendations to and coordinate their work with representatives of the Federal Highway Administration, the Department of Transportation, other State agencies, local government, and the public.

OFFICE OF CHIEF ENGINEER

707 North Calvert St., Room 404
Baltimore, MD 21202

The Office of Chief Engineer began in 1908 with the creation of the State Roads Commission. The Chief Engineer is responsible for the engineering of highways and bridges under the jurisdiction of the State Highway Administration. The Chief Engineer provides guidance to the District Engineers and monitors the overall program.

Under the Chief Engineer are eight offices: Bridge Development; Construction; Environmental Design; Highway Development; Maintenance; Materials and Research; Real Estate; and Traffic and Safety.

OFFICE OF REAL ESTATE
The Office of Real Estate dates from 1930 when the Right of Way Department was created under the State Roads Commission. In 1997, the Office was placed under the Office of Chief Engineer.

The Office of Real Estate directs statewide acquisition of land and relocation of people and businesses necessary for the construction of State Highway Administration projects in the Consolidated Transportation Program. If the amicable purchase of land is not possible, the Office requests authorization from the State Roads Commission to condemn property. The Office also leases properties of the State Highway Administration, sells excess land parcels, and licenses billboards and other outdoor advertising along State highways.

OFFICE OF HIGHWAY POLICY ASSESSMENT

Established in 1994, the Office of Highway Policy Assessment seeks to ensure that Maryland derives optimal benefits from the federal highway program. Representing the State on technical issues and policy, the Office works with the Federal Highway Administration, the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, and kindred groups. The Office also works with other units to analyze issues, develop policy, and recommend State and federal highway legislation.

OFFICE OF PLANNING & PRELIMINARY ENGINEERING

Created in 1985, the Office of Planning and Preliminary Engineering directs and manages systems planning and project planning for the State Highway Administration and develops the six-year capital program of the Administration.


MASS TRANSIT ADMINISTRATION

6 St. Paul St., 2nd floor
Baltimore, MD 21202 - 1614

The Mass Transit Administration originated as the Metropolitan Transit Authority in 1961 (Chapter 670, Acts of 1961). The Administration was created as part of the Department of Transportation in 1970 (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970). The Administration develops, constructs, and operates the Baltimore Metro subway system, the Central Light Rail Line, and the Maryland Commuter (MARC) Rail Passenger Service.

Operating and maintaining the public bus, subway and rail systems, the Mass Transit Administration is responsible for public transportation. The metropolitan area served encompasses Anne Arundel County, Baltimore City, and Baltimore County. Commuter bus service also links Howard and Harford Counties to Baltimore City, and southern Maryland to Washington, DC. The Administration also gives technical and financial assistance to develop or improve public transportation in small urban areas throughout the State (Code Transportation Article, secs. 7-101 through 7-706).

Administration functions are carried out by the Mass Transit Administration Police, and nine offices: Administration; Customer Services; Engineering; Finance; Interagency Programs; Planning and Programming; Real Estate and Freight Services; Transit Communications; and Transit Operations.

MASS TRANSIT ADMINISTRATION POLICE

The Mass Transit Administration Police was established in 1972. The Police ensures a safe and orderly environment within the transit system.

OFFICE OF CUSTOMER SERVICES

The Office of Customer Services is responsible for four divisions: Certification; Customer Services; Marketing; and Transit Information Services.

CERTIFICATION DIVISION
The Certification Division issues MTA photo identification cards to qualified senior citizens and persons with disabilities for use on regular and handicapped modes of transit. The Division informs potential riders of fares and services. At schools and rehabilitation centers, it trains riders to use mass transit.

CUSTOMER SERVICES DIVISION
The Customer Services Division distributes timetables and other information about public transportation. It sells tokens and discounted passes, and processes customer refunds for all modes of transportation. It also responds to recommendations and complaints from riders and resolves problems. In addition, the Division holds fairs and conferences, and mounts displays to inform citizens about public transportation. At Union Station in Washington, DC, the Division runs a customer service booth.

MARKETING DIVISION
The Marketing Division develops and implements consumer marketing programs. It manages a revenue contract that grants advertising rights on buses, Metro light rail, MARC trains, and station platforms. It manages the advertising agency contract that promotes public transportation. The Division designs and produces brochures, flyers, newsletters, signs, displays, vehicle markings, timetables, and logos to inform the public and Administration employees of transportation services.

TRANSIT INFORMATION SERVICES DIVISION
The Transit Information Services Division answers telephone inquiries about transit schedules and routes. By telephone it also receives complaints and recommendations from mass transit riders and forwards their comments to units for evaluation.

OFFICE OF ENGINEERING

The Office of Engineering was formed as the Transit Development Division in 1983. The Division was renamed the Office of Engineering in 1993. The Office oversees contract administration, facilities, engineering, system equipment engineering, and construction management.

OFFICE OF FINANCE

Established in 1986, the Finance Division was reorganized as the Office of Finance in 1993. The Office is responsible for the Administration's capital and operating budgets, analysis, management, accounting, auditing, and transit insurance.

OFFICE OF PLANNING & PROGRAMMING

The Office of Planning and Programming began as the Capital and Statewide Programs Department in 1984, and received its present name in 1993. The Office is responsible for the capital program, statewide and federal grants, legislative liaison, regional and State planning, and technical assistance.

OFFICE OF REAL ESTATE & FREIGHT SERVICES

The Office of Real Estate and Freight Services directs the real property and freight railroad activities of the Mass Transit Administration. The Office acquires property and rights of way for commuter and transit projects and disposes of excess property. The Office manages and leases the Administration's real property, including State-owned rights of way. It furthers the use of mass transit through joint State and private sector projects for economic development and renews and upgrades transit services and facilities to help revitalize older neighborhoods. The Office also manages and maintains freight-railroad rights of way that are owned by the State, administers operating agreements with shortline railroads operating on these rights of way, and promotes the role of railroads in Maryland's economic and industrial development.

OFFICE OF TRANSIT COMMUNICATIONS

The Office of Transit Communications originated as the Communications Department in April 1988. It became the Office of Media and Public Relations in 1993 and received its present name in 1995. The Office is responsible for media-press relations, transit reports, and public relations.

OFFICE OF TRANSIT OPERATIONS

The Office of Transit Operations originated as the Transit Operations Division in 1983. The Office was reorganized under its present name in 1993. The Office oversees transportation maintenance as well as planning and scheduling; and the Mass Transit Administration Police paratransit services for the Bus, Light Rail, Maryland Commuter (MARC) Rail Passenger Service, and Metro.

BUS OPERATIONS
A fleet of 850 buses provides transportation to over 250,000 customers daily across 62 bus routes in Baltimore County, Baltimore City, and Anne Arundel County, along with contracted bus service in Harford, Howard, Montgomery and Talbot counties.

LIGHT RAIL OPERATIONS
Inaugurated in 1992, the Central Light Rail Line consists of electric light rail cars that provide transportation between Timonium in Baltimore County and Glen Burnie in Anne Arundel County. By 1997, the line will reach north to Hunt Valley, south to Baltimore-Washington International Airport, and to Penn Station in Baltimore.

MARYLAND COMMUTER (MARC) RAIL PASSENGER SERVICE
In 1992, functions of the former State Railroad Administration were transferred to the Mass Transit Administration (Chapter 127, Acts of 1992). This included operations of the Maryland Commuter (MARC) Rail Passenger Service. The Service operates three rail lines. It provides commuter service each workday along 187 rail miles between northern Maryland, Baltimore City, West Virginia, and Washington, DC.

METRO OPERATIONS
The Baltimore Metro subway system covers 15.5 miles from Owings Mills in Baltimore County to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore City.


MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATION

6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

Duties of the Motor Vehicle Administration began in 1910 when the Office of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles was established (Chapter 207, Acts of 1910). The Commissioner was authorized to issue drivers' licenses and, from 1914 to 1935, employed Motorcycle Deputies to enforce traffic laws throughout the State. The Office became the Department of Motor Vehicles in 1943 (Chapter 1007, Acts of 1943). In 1970, the Department was renamed the Motor Vehicle Administration and placed within the Department of Transportation (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970).

The Administration issues motor vehicle certificates of title and registration, and drivers' licenses. Welcome to Maryland, a pamphlet designed to aid new Maryland residents in obtaining a driver's license and vehicle registration, is available free from the Division of Public Information: 1-800-950-1682.

In October 1997, the Administration reorganized into five offices: Administration; Information Resources; Operations; Planning and Finance; and Policy and Communications (Code Transportation Article, secs. 12-101 through 12-209).

SPECIAL OPERATIONS

OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATION

The office of Administration oversees six divisions: Customer Relations and Quality Assurance; Facilities Management and Engineering; Human Resources; Procurement and Contracts; Support Services; and Telecommunications Services.

OFFICE OF INFORMATION RESOURCES

The Office of Information Resources was organized in 1992 as the Information Systems Center. It was renamed the Information Resources Divsion in October 1997 and received its current name in January 1998. The Office provides information technology services to the Department, federal and State agencies, and the private sector.

Under the Office are two divisions: Business Systems Management; and Technical Systems Management.

OFFICE OF OPERATIONS

DRIVER EDUCATION & LICENSING
Driver Services is responsible for three units: Administrative Adjudication; Driver Control; and Driver Services.

CENTRAL OPERATIONS

REGIONAL OPERATIONS
Regional Operations was organized from Field Operations in 1997. It started in 1969 when the Division of Field Services was created to decentralize public services through a series of branch offices. Today, Regional Operations consists of Branch Offices, Express Offices, and the Telephone Customer Service Center of the Motor Vehicle Administration.

OFFICE OF PLANNING & FINANCE

The Office of Planning and Finance encompasses six divisions: Accounting and Financial Systems; Auditing; Financial Management; Operations Research; Planning and Programming; and Project Development.

OFFICE OF POLICY & COMMUNICATIONS

The Office of Policy and Communications oversees three divisions: Driver Safety Research; Media Relations; and Vehicle and Driver Policy.


MARYLAND PORT COMMISSION

The Maryland Port Commission was formed in 1988 (Chapter 541, Acts of 1988). The Commission oversees the Maryland Port Administration. By devising flexible procedures, particularly for personnel and procurement, the Commission works to give the Port of Baltimore the competitive edge in maritime trade.

The Commission has seven members. Six are appointed to three-year terms by the Governor with Senate advice and consent. The Secretary of Transportation serves as chair (Code Transportation Article, secs. 6-201 through 6-204).

MARYLAND PORT ADMINISTRATION

World Trade Center Baltimore
401 East Pratt St.
Baltimore, MD 21202 - 3041

The Maryland Port Administration began in 1956 as the Maryland Port Authority (Chapter 2, Acts of Special Session of 1956). The Authority became the Maryland Port Administration in 1970 (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970). The Administration was made part of the Department of Transportation in 1971.

The Administration works to promote and increase waterborne commerce in Maryland, particularly at the Port of Baltimore. The Administration improves facilities and strengthens the workings of the private operator. If private facilities are inadequate, the Adminstration may construct and, if necessary, operate supplementary public facilities (Code Transportation Article, secs. 6-101 through 6-502). In 1979, operation of the Port of Cambridge was placed under the control of the Administration (Chapter 280, Acts of 1979).

The Administration operates field offices in New York, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Chicago, and is represented in London, Haifa, Tokyo, and Hong Kong. The Administration also owns and operates the World Trade Center Baltimore.

WORLD TRADE CENTER MARKETING & LEASING
World Trade Center Marketing and Leasing began in 1977 as the World Trade Center - Baltimore. It received its present name in 1995.

This office manages the World Trade Center Baltimore. It also markets the Port of Baltimore, Baltimore City, and the State of Maryland to other countries through the World Trade Center Association, which has over 200 members in 54 nations.

ADMINISTRATION & FINANCE

Administration and Finance was first the Administration and Business Management Department. In 1993 the Department was renamed Administration. The fiscal responsibilities of this office started as the Finance Department which was reorganized in 1993 as Financial Services. It merged in 1996 with Administration to form Administration and Finance.

This office is responsible for the Port Administration's personnel system, training and education, fair employment practices, and office support services. It oversees governmental affairs, Port Commission staffing, and certain business law practices. This office also directs financial affairs and management information systems of the Port Administration, including accounting, budget, procurement, and real estate leasing.

MARKETING

Through a network of regional and international offices, the Marketing Department promotes the movement of waterborne commerce through Maryland's marine terminals, thereby creating revenues and employment and improving the State's economy.

OPERATIONS

Operations started as the Operations Department. It was reorganized as Operational Services in 1993 and received its present name in 1997. Operations works to provide safe and efficient marine terminals for handling waterborne commerce. The terminals are located at Seagirt, Dundalk, North and South Locust Point, the Intermodal Container Transfer Facility, Clinton Street terminal, and Fairfield Automobile terminal.

MARYLAND INTERNATIONAL TERMINALS
Maryland International Terminals, a nonprofit subsidiary of the Maryland Port Administration, was created in 1990 to give the Administration a direct role in labor negotiations and in operating public port facilities.

MARYLAND PORT ADMINISTRATION POLICE FORCE
The Maryland Port Administration Police Force was authorized in 1976 (Chapter 468, Acts of 1976). The Force has all powers granted to Maryland peace officers and police officers. The Force protects life, limb, and property on properties owned, leased, operated by, or under the control of the Maryland Port Administration.

PLANNING & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT

Planning and Business Development formed in 1995. This division is responsible for Capital Planning; Governmental Affairs and Public Relations; Harbor Development; Market Planning; and Strategic Planning.


MARYLAND TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY

303 Authority Drive
Dundalk, MD 21222 - 2200

The Maryland Transportation Authority governs and sets policy for the State's toll roads, bridges, and tunnels (Code Transportation Article, secs. 4-201 through 4-404). The Authority was created in 1970 (Chapter 526, Acts of 1970).

The Transportation Authority operates and maintains four toll bridges, the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, the Fort McHenry Tunnel, and the John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway. These facilities were constructed with proceeds from the sale of revenue bonds and from toll revenues. They are operated and maintained solely through tolls charged to users.

The Authority consists of the Secretary of Transportation as chair and six members appointed for three-year terms by the Governor with Senate advice and consent (Code Transportation Article, secs. 4-101 through 4-404).

Administrative, engineering and finance operations of the Authority center at the Francis Scott Key Bridge, Baltimore's outer harbor crossing.

OPERATIONS

Created in 1995, Operations oversees all bridges, tunnels, and turnpikes under the jurisdiction of the Maryland Transportation Authority. This oversight includes administrative functions, law enforcement, and services to users. Formerly, bridges, tunnels, and turnpikes each had been administered separately. Now, the work of the Authority is administered by regions. Each regional administration is responsible for traffic control and the collection, disposition, and safeguarding of tolls. Each ensures that roads, structures, facilities, and approaches are maintained. Along the John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway, the regional administration also oversees the operation of service plazas, and their restaurants and service stations.

CENTRAL REGION
Baltimore Harbor Tunnel and its eighteen-mile thruway opened to traffic on November 30, 1957. Designated Interstate 895, the Tunnel provides a major north-south bypass of Baltimore City.

Fort McHenry Tunnel is the world's only eight-lane underwater tunnel for vehicular traffic. It is located just south of Fort McHenry between Locust Point and Canton, crossing Baltimore's harbor under the Patapsco River. As part of Interstate 95, the Tunnel links the southern and eastern areas of Baltimore City. The Tunnel opened to traffic on November 24, 1985.

Francis Scott Key Bridge was opened to traffic in March of 1977 and connects Sollers Point in Baltimore County with Hawkins Point in Baltimore City. It also is the final link in the 52-mile Baltimore Beltway (Interstate 695).

NORTHERN REGION
Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge, formerly the Susquehanna River Toll Bridge, spans the Susquehanna River from a point near Perryville, Cecil County, to a point near Havre de Grace, Harford County. Opened to traffic on August 28, 1940, the Bridge is 1.4 miles long. In 1986, the Bridge was renamed for Thomas J. Hatem (1925-1985) who represented Harford County in the House of Delegates from 1955 to 1958.

John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway, formerly Northeastern Expressway, was constructed with revenue bond proceeds authorized in 1956 (Chapter 1, Acts of the Special Session of 1956). This toll road, a part of Interstate 95, opened to traffic on November 14, 1963. Its fifty miles extend from Delaware south to the northern limits of Baltimore City. Administrative offices of the Kennedy Memorial Highway are located at the Perryville Plaza Barrier, where tolls for through traffic are collected.

WILLIAM PRESTON LANE, JR., MEMORIAL BRIDGE
William Preston Lane, Jr., Memorial Bridge is one of the longest over-water steel structures in the world. It spans 4.35 miles of the Chesapeake Bay between Sandy Point on the Western Shore to a point near Stevensville on the Eastern Shore. Traffic lanes between the suspension towers are 2,922 and 1/2 feet in length and 198 and 1/2 feet above the Bay. The Bridge rises to a total height of 354 feet. This span was opened to traffic on July 30, 1952. At the request of the General Assembly, the State Roads Commission renamed the Chesapeake Bay Toll Bridge as the William Preston Lane, Jr., Memorial Bridge in 1967 (Joint Resolution no. 21, Acts of 1967). William Preston Lane, Jr. (1892-1967), served as governor from 1947 to 1951.

In 1968, Bridge and Tunnel Revenue Bonds were issued to construct a parallel bridge across the Chesapeake Bay, a crossing of the Patapsco River (Baltimore Outer Harbor) from Hawkins Point to Sparrows Point, and a connection on the Harbor Tunnel Thruway between U.S. Route 1 and Interstate 95 near Elkridge. On June 28, 1973, the parallel Bay Bridge was opened to traffic. Also named the William Preston Lane, Jr., Memorial Bridge, this parallel bridge now is referred to as the westbound span, while the original bridge is the eastbound span.

HARRY W. NICE MEMORIAL BRIDGE
Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge across the Potomac River in Charles County was opened to traffic in December 1940. It links U.S. 301 between Maryland and Virginia. Originally called the Potomac River Toll Bridge, the 1.7 mile structure was renamed in 1967 by the State Roads Commission for Harry W. Nice (1877-1941), who served as governor from 1935 to 1939.

MARYLAND TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY POLICE

The Maryland Transportation Authority Police originated as the Toll Facilities Police, established in 1970 as part of the Maryland Transportation Authority. The Police received their present name in 1993 (Chapter 626, Acts of 1993). The Police enforce laws and control traffic at turnpike, toll bridge and tunnel facilities, and at the Baltimore/Washington International Airport.

Maryland Executive Departments


Maryland Manual On-Line

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 1998

July 10, 1998   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 06, 1998 Maryland State Archives