300 East Joppa Road, Suite 1000
Towson, MD 21286 - 3020

Appointed by the Governor with Senate advice and consent, the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services is responsible for carrying out the Governor's policies in the areas of public safety, crime prevention, correction, parole, and probation.

The Secretary serves on the Governor's Executive Council, and the Cabinet Council on Criminal and Juvenile Justice. The Secretary also serves on the State Information Technology Board; the Vehicle Theft Prevention Council; the State Board of Victim Services; the Institutional Educator Pay Plan Committee; the Pricing Committee for Blind Industries and Services of Maryland; the Pricing and Selection Committee for Rehabilitation and Employment Programs; and the Interdepartmental Advisory Committee for Minority Affairs.

Reporting directly to the Secretary are the Commission on Correctional Standards; the Inmate Grievance Office; the Police and Correctional Training Commissions; the Division of Pretrial Detention and Services; the Division of Correction; Patuxent Institution; the Division of Parole and Probation; and the Maryland Parole Commission. The office of the Secretary also oversees the the Handgun Permit Review Board; and the Sundry Claims Board. The Secretary is assisted by a deputy secretary and an assistant secretary.

The Handgun Permit Review Board was created in 1972 (Chapter 13, Acts of 1972).

Any person whose application for a handgun permit or renewal of a permit has been rejected or whose permit has been revoked or limited may ask the Board to review the decision of the Secretary of State Police. The Board can either sustain, reverse, or modify the decision of the Secretary, or conduct a hearing to establish the facts.

The Governor appoints the Board's five members to three-year terms with Senate advice and consent (Code 1957, Art. 27, sec. 36E).

In 1961, the Sundry Claims Board was established (Chapter 440, Acts of 1961). The Board administers claims filed by any prisoner who has been injured on the job while working for compensation in the Division of Correction or Patuxent Institution.

Three ex officio members or their designees serve on the Board. The Governor names the chair and secretary (Code 1957, Art. 41, sec. 4-701).


The Information Technology and Communications Division originated as the Division of Data Services in 1970. The Division received its present name in June 1997.

The Division is responsible for Administration; the Criminal Justice Information System; Management Information Systems; and the Public Safety Data Center.

The Criminal Justice Information System began in 1976 (Chapter 239, Acts of 1976). It develops and manages statewide information systems for the Maryland criminal justice community, including the courts; local, State and federal law enforcement personnel; local detention centers; State prisons; State's attorneys; and parole and probation officers. The System also is responsible for system administration and documentation, network administration, data security, and user training. In addition, the System administers the Maryland Automated Fingerprint Identification System.

Management Information Systems was organized in Fiscal Year 1987 to provide information processing services throughout the Department. The unit designs, implements, and maintains all Department information systems used by the criminal justice and noncriminal justice communities. It provides systems administration support, computer programming services, and user training to Department staff.

The Department administers the Public Safety Data Center for public safety, law enforcement and correctional agencies within the State. Created in 1970, the Center provides computer processing services to the Department of State Police, the Division of Correction, the Division of Parole and Probation, Patuxent Institution, and several federal and local criminal justice agencies. The Center provides computer terminal and computer-to-computer data transmission between these agencies and the Motor Vehicle Administration, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System.


6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 314
Baltimore, MD 21215 - 2341

The Office of Inspector General began in May 1987 as the Division of Audits and Compliance, an independent unit within the Office of the Secretary. The Division was established by the Secretary in compliance with the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (SPPIA), which require every internal audit unit to have a written charter (Code 1957, Art. 41, sec. 4-104). In 1993, the Division was reorganized as the Office of Inspector General with units for audits, investigations and management services.

The Office ensures objective review of agency facilities, property, equipment, personnel, administration, and operations. To assist the Secretary in evaluating each unit's management, the Office conducts financial, performance, program and grant audits or inspections within the Department.

In practice, the Office achieves its purpose through ongoing audit, inspection, investigation, monitoring, and periodic reporting of all Department functions. The Office reports to the Secretary on matters requiring corrective action, primarily through fiscal and management audit reports. These reports assess a unit's level of compliance with applicable laws, regulations, directives, procedures, and standards, and recommend corrective action of any deficiency.


6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 311B
Baltimore, MD 21215

The Office of Minority Business Enterprise and Equal Opportunity started in 1989. The Office establishes and maintains equality of opportunity within the Department. In addition, the Office assures the Department's compliance with civil rights laws, mandates, and regulations, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Veterans' Rights Act, and the Ethics Law.


The Division of Research and Statistics was organized in 1981. The Division develops, maintains, and monitors statistics; develops databases for research; and reviews, develops, and provides technical assistance for information systems. Evaluations and impact assessments also are provided by the Division.


300 East Joppa Road, Suite 1000
Towson, MD 21286 - 3020

The Deputy Secretary oversees the Division of Support Services. The Division includes Telecommunications, and the offices of Capital Construction and Facilities Maintenance; Food and Property Services; and Inmate Health Care.


6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 201
Baltimore, MD 21215 - 2341

7695 Old Jessup Road
Jessup, MD 20794

The Office of Capital Construction and Facilities Maintenance formed in 1997, combining the duties of two earlier divisions. Under the Deputy Secretary, both the Division of Capital Construction and the Division of Facilities Maintenance were created in 1990.

The Office procures construction and related services for State correctional facilities. It also maintains Department facilities, including those of Patuxent Institution, the Police and Correctional Training Commissions, and institutions of the Division of Correction.

The Office of Food and Property Services was created in 1997. It was formed from the Office of Property Management Services, initiated in 1993, and Food Services formerly administered by the Division of Correction.

The Office coordinates the administration of the Department's motor vehicle fleet, property inventory, and commercially leased space.

The Office of Inmate Health Care began operation in 1997.


300 East Joppa Road, Suite 1000
Towson, MD 21286 - 3020

The Assistant Secretary for Administration oversees the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, the Emergency Number Systems Board, and two divisions: Finance and Budget Administration, and Personnel.


The Commission on Correctional Standards was formed in 1980 to improve standards for correctional facilities and programs and to ensure compliance with standards for the public health, safety, and welfare (Chapter 535, Acts of 1980).

The Commission advises the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services on standards for State and local correctional facilities; provides technical assistance to local governments; audits facilities to determine compliance with correctional standards; and determines schedules for remedial action of jurisdictions that do not comply. After a public hearing, the Commission may order a correctional facility to close if it does not comply with established standards. The Commission also reviews and acts on appeals of staff audit reports.

To make State and national standards compatible, the Commission consults with national agencies promulgating correctional standards. The Commission also may consult and cooperate with State agencies and local jurisdictions on correctional standards and may establish advisory boards.

The Commission has eleven members. Eight are appointed for three-year terms by the Governor with Senate advice and consent. Three serve ex officio. With the approval of the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services, the Commission appoints the Executive Director (Code 1957, Art. 41, sec. 4-401).


6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 302
Baltimore, MD 21215

The Inmate Grievance Office originated as the Inmate Grievance Commission in 1971 to adjudicate inmate grievances and complaints (Chapter 210, Acts of 1971). The Commission was reorganized under its present name in 1991 (Chapter 251, Acts of 1991).

Any person confined to an institution within the Division of Correction, or otherwise in the custody of the Commissioner of Correction, or confined to Patuxent Institution may submit any grievance or complaint against any official or employee of the Division of Correction or Patuxent Institution to the Inmate Grievance Office. A grievance or complaint that merits further consideration is referred to the Office of Administrative Hearings.

With the approval of the Governor, the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services appoints the Executive Director (Code 1957, Art. 41, sec. 4-102.1).


3085 Hernwood Road
Woodstock, MD 21163

The Police Training Commission was created in 1966 (Chapter 286, Acts of 1966). Subject to the authority of the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services, the Commission prescribes standards for and certifies schools that offer police and security training. It may revoke a school's certification for cause. The Commission sets minimum qualifications for instructors and certifies qualified instructors for approved training schools. It verifies which officers have satisfactorily completed training programs, and issues diplomas. The Commission also operates approved police training schools (Code 1957, Art. 41, sec. 4-201).

The Commission certifies persons as police officers who have met all standards of the Commission. Under certain conditions, it also can suspend or revoke certification. Persons not satisfactorily trained in the twelve-month probationary period may not be employed as police officers. Nor may a police officer serve after certification has been revoked, suspended, or allowed to lapse.

The Commission studies entrance-level and in-service training methods and procedures, and consults and cooperates with recognized federal, State or municipal law enforcement agencies, educational institutions, and other State departments and agencies concerned with police training. The administrative staff of the Commission also works with the Correctional Training Commission.

The Police Training Commission consists of fourteen members. Eleven serve ex officio. The Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services, with the approval of the Governor and Senate advice and consent, appoints the remaining three members for three-year terms. With the approval of the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services, the Commission appoints the Executive Director (Code 1957, Art. 41, sec. 4-201).

In 1971, the Correctional Training Commission began (Chapter 213, Acts of 1971). Subject to the authority of the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services, the Commission prescribes standards for and certifies all schools that offer training courses in corrections, parole, and probation. It may revoke a school's certification for cause.

The Commission examines correctional training methods and procedures for all correctional schools and consults and cooperates with federal, State or municipal correctional agencies, educational institutions, and State agencies concerned with correctional training.

The Commission outlines qualifications for instructors and certifies qualified instructors for approved training schools. Correctional officers who have satisfactorily completed training are certified by the Commission, which also operates approved correctional training schools.

The Commission has twelve members. Nine serve ex officio. With the approval of the Governor, the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services appoints three members for three-year terms. The Commission appoints the Executive Director with the Secretary's approval (Code 1957, Art. 41, sec. 4-301).


401 East Eager St.
Baltimore, MD 21202

The Division of Pretrial Detention and Services was established within the Department in 1991 (Chapter 59, Acts of 1991). At that time, the State assumed responsibility for the Baltimore City Jail and renamed it the Baltimore City Detention Center. Maryland is the only state which has administrative control over a large local detention center.

The Division oversees the Baltimore City Detention Center; Pretrial Release Services; and the Central Booking and Intake Facility for those arrested and awaiting trial in criminal proceedings before the District Court or the Circuit Court of Baltimore City. Appointed by the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services with the Governor's approval, the Commissioner of Pretrial Detention and Services heads the Division (Code 1957, Art. 41, secs. 4-1401 through 4-1414).


401 East Eager St.
Baltimore, MD 21202

The Baltimore City Detention Center originally formed in the eighteenth century as the Baltimore City Jail. In 1802, it was replaced by a new jail on Mill Street on the east side of Jones Falls. An annex for women inmates was constructed in 1823. The jail structure served until 1860 when a new building opened at Madison Street and Jones Falls. Over the years, the building expanded. In 1960, connective north and south wings were constructed; in 1971, a separate jail for women was built.

By 1991, Baltimore City Jail consisted of seven buildings. Five were maximum- and medium-security structures: the Men's Detention Center; Women's Detention Center; Jail Industries Building; Wyatt Building; and the Annex Building. Minimum-security persons were housed in two satellite facilities: O'Brien House; and the Resident Labor Facility. In 1991, the State took over administration of the Baltimore City Jail and renamed it the Baltimore City Detention Center under the Division of Pretrial Detention and Services (Chapter 59, Acts of 1991).

The Baltimore City Detention Center is one of the largest municipal jails in the nation. Over 20,000 inmates are committed to the Center annually. The daily number of inmates averages over 3,000. The Center is a pretrial detention facility for any person committed or transferred to the custody of the Commissioner of Pretrial Detention and Services. The Center, as authorized by the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services, also may house any person held in custody by any agency of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.

The Warden is appointed by the Commissioner of Pretrial Detention and Services with the approval of the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services (Code 1957, Art. 41, secs. 4-1407 through 4-1414).


300 East Madison St.
Baltimore, MD 21202

The Central Booking and Intake Facility opened in July 1995 in Baltimore City. All adults arrested in Baltimore City are processed or "booked" at the Facility. Previously, suspects were booked at district police stations around the City. The Facility includes Pretrial Release Services; the District Court Commissioners for Baltimore City; the Office of State's Attorney for Baltimore City; and Baltimore City Police Services (Code 1957, Art. 41, sec. 4-1414).

The Facility uses the Automated Booking System, designed to become a statewide criminal justice information network. Currently, six counties and the Facility are part of the System. With uniform data entries, the System quickly identifies a detainee, and any previous criminal history or outstanding arrest warrants.

The booking process begins with a bar-coded bracelet assigned to the detainee for tracking purposes. Then, the detainee's personal, descriptive and demographic information is entered into the System. Biometric identification is done by laser-scan digitized fingerprinting and digitized video photos, which can be transmitted electronically for quick comparison.

As the booking process continues, the arresting officer enters data into the System about the arrest and charges. This report goes to an on-site District Court Commissioner who conducts an initial hearing to determine probable cause, set bail, and assign a trial date. After identification, the detainee is interviewed by a pretrial investigator. Booking then is completed. With new technology, the process is expected to take under four hours.

After booking, the detainee either is released on recognizance, posts bail, or is assigned to the Facility. For intake, the detainee is issued a new bar code with a Maryland identification number and photograph, and undergoes a video bail review by a judge, eliminating the need to transport suspects to District Court. The efficiency of the process is intended to reduce the number of people jailed before trial and save the costs of housing defendants.


Mitchell Courthouse, Room 508
100 North Calvert St.
Baltimore, MD 21202

Formerly under the Circuit Court for Baltimore City, the Pretrial Release Services Division became a unit of the Division of Parole and Probation in 1985 (Chapter 725, Acts of 1985). In 1988, the Pretrial Release Services Division was established as a separate division within the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (Chapter 474, Acts of 1988). The Division was reorganized as a program within the Division of Pretrial Detention and Services in 1991 (Chapter 59, Acts of 1991).

Pretrial Release Services investigates all defendants awaiting trial in criminal proceedings before the Baltimore City Circuit Court and the District Court of Maryland for Baltimore City. The Program then provides the courts with verified information regarding the defendant's ties to the community and special problems such as alcoholism, drug addiction, or residential placement needs. The Program also makes recommendations to the courts regarding pretrial release or detention of defendants awaiting trial.

Of some 51,978 defendants screened annually, the Program supervises and monitors approximately 19,000 defendants for whom the court orders pretrial release. Urine testing surveillance is used for some of these defendants. At trial or in subsequent proceedings, the Program reports to the court on the defendant's compliance with the terms of pretrial release. These compliance reports are used for sentencing decisions and, in some instances, plea bargaining negotiations.

To minimize unnecessary incarceration, the Program develops alternative sanction plans under court supervision, and arbitrates or mediates disputes when requested by the court. Under scrutiny of the courts, the State's Attorney, and the Public Defender or private counsel, the Program presents and defends alternatives to prosecution.

In addition, the Program reviews the status of defendants in pretrial detention in the Baltimore City Detention Center. To reduce overcrowding, the Program recommends options to the court, such as scheduling early trials; monitors writs, detainers, and violations of court orders; and further investigates the feasibility of recognizance or reduced bail for some defendants.

The Director and Deputy Director are appointed by the Commissioner of Pretrial Detention and Services with the approval of the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services (Code 1957, Art. 41, secs. 4-1401 through 4-1406).


6776 Reisterstown Road
Baltimore, MD 21215 - 2341

The Division of Correction originated in the nineteenth century when the first State prisons - the Maryland Penitentiary and the Maryland House of Correction - were erected. Prior to 1916, the two prisons were autonomous. Each operated under the jurisdiction of either a board of directors or a board of managers appointed by the Governor. In 1916, these institutions were placed under the State Board of Prison Control (Chapter 556, Acts of 1916). The Board of Welfare superseded the State Board of Prison Control in 1922 to administer the prisons (Chapter 29, Acts of 1922). In 1939, the Department of Correction and the Board of Correction replaced the Board of Welfare (Chapter 69, Acts of 1939).

The Superintendent of Prisons became administrator of the Department of Correction in 1953 (Chapter 758, Acts of 1953). The Board of Correction established departmental policies and appointed executive personnel for institutions under the jurisdiction of the Department on recommendations made by the Superintendent of Prisons. In 1962, the Advisory Board of Corrections replaced the Board of Correction, and the Superintendent of Prisons was succeeded by the Commissioner of Correction (Chapter 123, Acts of 1962). The Department of Correction was renamed the Department of Correctional Services in 1968 (Chapter 137, Acts of 1968).

All State correctional responsibilities were assigned to the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services in 1970 (Chapter 401, Acts of 1970). At that time, the Department of Correctional Services was reorganized as the Division of Correction within the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.

The Division of Correction plans, establishes, and directs the administration of State correctional facilities. The Division is responsible for the Maryland Reception, Diagnostic, and Classification Center; the Maryland Correctional Pre-Release System; State Use Industries; and ten State prisons:

The Commissioner of Correction is appointed by the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services with the approval of the Governor and Senate advice and consent (Code 1957, Art. 27, secs. 667-679).

Human Resources and Administration is responsible for Centralized Hiring, Data Services, Employee Health, Personnel and Training, Policy Review and Publications, and Training.

Inmate Health oversees Medical Contract Audits, Medical Contracts, Medical Services, and Social Work and Addiction Services.

Inmate Programs directs five units: Case Management; Commitment; Correctional Education; Inmate Affairs; and Religious and Volunteer Services.

Under Division jurisdiction, correctional institutions classify inmates to determine how they should be confined and supervised. Once the security level of confinement has been determined, the specific conditions of confinement are evaluated for an inmate and, where appropriate, programs are offered in education, vocational training, employment, substance abuse counseling, and psychological and psychiatric intervention and security.

Prisons provide education, including elementary and secondary school instruction, advanced and specialized study, and vocational and on-the-job training. The instruction in pre-release units prepares inmates to obtain high school equivalency certificates. Prisons and pre-release units also offer programs for inmates to develop or relearn occupational skills. Inmates are assigned to a variety of maintenance tasks, as well as to the diversified State Use Industries Program. These programs provide goods and services needed by certain public agencies. For example, several prisons operate their own laundries which also serve other State facilities.

The Division of Correction administers the Work Release Program, established in 1963 (Chapter 285, Acts of 1963). Under the Program, certain prisoners may leave confinement to work at gainful employment in the community. They return to the institution at the end of the work day. In 1968, this privilege was extended for attending school (Chapter 551, Acts of 1968). Under certain conditions, the Commissioner of Correction may authorize special leave for prisoners to seek employment or participate in special community rehabilitation programs. Weekend leaves also may be granted under certain conditions (Code 1957, Art. 27, secs. 700A, 700C).

Under Security Operations are Adjustment Hearings, Emergency Preparedness and Inventory Standards, Facilities Security, Housing Coordination, the Investigative Unit, and the K-9 Unit.


550 East Madison St.
Baltimore, MD 21202

The Maryland Reception, Diagnostic and Classification Center began in June 1967 as a reception center in the south wing of the Maryland Penitentiary (Chapter 695, Acts of 1967). At its present location, the Center opened in October 1981. Here, male inmates are diagnostically evaluated, classified, and assigned to an institution of the Division of Correction. A maximum-security facility, the seven-story Center has a rated capacity of 400 inmates (Code 1957, Art. 27, secs. 689(g)-700(a)).

(formerly Maryland Penitentiary)

954 Forrest St.
Baltimore, MD 21202

The Metropolitan Transition Center is Maryland's oldest State prison. It began as the Maryland Penitentiary. Authorized in 1804, the Maryland Penitentiary opened in 1811 (Resolution no. 32, Acts of 1804). In February 1998, the Penitentiary was reorganized as the Metropolitan Transition Center. The Center now incarerates short-term offenders where previously it had held those long-term prisoners requiring maximum security.

As the Maryland Penitentiary, the major portion of the Center's physical plant was built in 1894. A south wing was completed in 1899. The most recent additions were made in 1956. Then, the old administration building and one of the original cell houses were replaced by a sixty-bed general hospital for men in the correctional system.

A maximum-security section to confine prisoners under sentence of death and an execution chamber were erected in 1956. Executions ceased in Maryland from June 1961 to May 1994. By statute, in 1994, the method of execution was changed from lethal gas to lethal injection (Chapter 5, Acts of 1994).


401 East Madison St.
Baltimore, MD 21202

The Maryland Correctional Adjustment Center opened in 1989 under jurisdiction of the Maryland Penitentiary. In October 1997, the Center was made an independent unit under the Division of Correction.

The Center is a maximum-security prison for men. It is located across the street from the Maryland Penitentiary and functions as a satellite of the Penitentiary, housing the most violent criminals. The Center, known as Supermax, is designed to hold 288 prisoners, one to a cell.


The Maryland Correctional Institution - Hagerstown is a medium-security prison for men in Washington County. Authorized in 1931 as the Maryland State Penal Farm (Chapter 366, Acts of 1931), it opened, after funding delays, in 1942. In 1945, the Penal Farm was replaced by the Maryland State Reformatory for Males (Chapter 519, Acts of 1945). The Reformatory was renamed Maryland Institution for Men in 1962 and Maryland Correctional Institution in 1964.

Two housing areas have been added to the prison. In 1980, the Roxbury Emergency Housing Unit opened with a 128-bed capacity. The Western Program Development Center, a second emergency housing unit of 420 beds, opened in 1983.


P. O. Box 3333
Route 3
18800 Roxbury Road
Hagerstown, MD 21746 - 3333

The Maryland Correctional Training Center, a medium-security institution, was authorized in 1966 (Chapter 385, Acts of 1966). The Center offers educational and vocational training to male inmates. Prisoners who are not amenable to rehabilitation remain in or are transferred to the Maryland Correctional Institution - Hagerstown.

A work release center occupies a separate building on the grounds of the Maryland Correctional Training Center. The work release center has a rated capacity of 75 beds and houses those inmates on the Work Release Program and several inmates who are part of the institutional cadre. Another minimum security unit, opened in 1977, has a rated capacity of 128 beds.


P. O. Box 4444
Route 3
18701 Roxbury Road
Hagerstown, MD 21746 - 4444

The Roxbury Correctional Institution is a 721-bed medium-security prison for men. The Institution opened in December 1983.


13800 McMullen Highway, SW
Cumberland, MD 21502

A medium-security prison in Allegany County, Western Correctional Institution opened July 13, 1996. It is designed to house 1,296 inmates with some 450 staff. Based on prototypes of the facilities at the Maryland House of Correction Annex in Jessup, housing consists of a 144-cell unit and three 192-cell units. Two of these units, along with support services, basic site work, utilities, and perimeter security were completed in 1996. The facility opened with the capacity to house 768 inmates. The remaining housing units were completed in 1997.

The Institution's central services - administration, maintenance, laundry, and warehouse - are set apart from inmate housing areas. Food is shipped from the Hagerstown central kitchen several times per week, with final preparations in the Institution's finishing kitchen. The perimeter security fence is maximum security.


P. O. Box 534
Jessup, MD 20794 - 0534

The Maryland House of Correction is the second oldest prison in the State. It also is the State's only maximum-security prison. It confines male prisoners sentenced to long terms. Authorized in 1874 and opened in 1879, it also is a medium-security institution for men serving sentences of three months or longer (Chapter 233, Acts of 1874). The prison is situated on 800 acres south of MD Route 175 between U.S. Route 1 and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway in both Anne Arundel and Howard counties.

Opened in October 1991, the Maryland House of Correction Annex is a maximum-security facility, adjacent to the Maryland House of Correction. The Annex consists of five housing units, each holding 192 cells. Designed for double bunks, these units include the statewide protective custody unit. The Annex also holds a segregation housing unit of 144 cells where inmates are isolated from the general prison population voluntarily for their own protection or as punishment. A support services building houses the dining room, education and vocational training, and medical services.


P. O. Box 549
Jessup, MD 20794 - 0549

The Maryland Correctional Institution at Jessup opened in 1981 as an annex to the Maryland House of Correction. Now, the Institution is a separate facility sharing certain services with the House of Correction. The Institution is a medium-security prison with a rated capacity of 512 male inmates serving sentences of three months or longer.


P. O. Box 535
Jessup, MD 20794 - 0535

In the nineteenth century, women prisoners first were housed in quarters reserved for them at the Maryland Penitentiary. The Maryland House of Correction, opened in 1879, also was built with separate quarters for women. Although advocated by the Maryland Penitentiary Penal Commission in 1913, not until 1939 did the State construct a separate prison for women.

On land adjacent to the House of Correction, a separate prison for women was authorized in 1937 (Chapter 487, Acts of 1937). A grant from the federal Works Progress Administration augmented State funds and construction began in 1939. What is now the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women - Jessup received its first prisoners on October 1, 1940, and formally was established in 1941 as the Women's Prison of the State of Maryland (Chapter 71, Acts of 1941). The Prison was renamed Maryland State Reformatory for Women in 1945 (Chapter 520, Acts of 1945). In 1962, it became the Maryland Institution for Women and adopted its present name in 1964.

The Reception-Diagnostic Classification Center at the Institution receives all adult women who have been convicted of felonies and misdemeanors and sentenced to the jurisdiction of the State for terms of six months to life. After classification at the Center, women inmates are transferred to a prison to complete their sentences.


P. O. Box 500
Route 1
30420 Revells Neck Road
Westover, MD 21890 - 0500

Located in Somerset County, the Eastern Correctional Institution opened in 1987. The Institution is a medium- and maximum-security prison for men. It has a rated capacity of 1,440 inmates.


30420 Revells Neck Road
Westover, MD 21890 - 3368

In September 1993, the Minimum Security Compound opened as the Eastern Correctional Institution Annex. It is a 420-bed minimum-security facility under the jurisdiction of the Eastern Correctional Institution. The Compound consists of three housing units, one support building, and an outside recreation area. It is outside the secure perimeter of the Eastern Correctional Institution compound.


P. O. Box 537
Administration Building
Jessup, MD 20794 - 0537

The Maryland Correctional Pre-Release System operates one medium-security facility, three minimum-security units, and six pre-release units that provide work and other rehabilitation for men, and one pre-release unit that provides such services for women. These facilities mainly house inmates in the Work Release Program. Before assignment to a pre-release unit, inmates are screened carefully at the Reception Center or at the institutions to which they are assigned.

The minimum-security pre-release units originated in 1955 as work camps (Chapter 266, Acts of 1955). Later, they became known as correctional camps (Code 1957, Art. 27, sec. 689(f)). In 1972, the camps were renamed community correctional centers (Chapter 464, Acts of 1972). Four years later, they were reorganized as community adult rehabilitation centers (Chapter 234, Acts of 1976). In July 1978, the community adult rehabilitation centers were placed under the Correctional Pre-Release System. They were renamed pre-release units in September 1978.

P. O. Box 537
7930 Brockbridge Road
Jessup, MD 20794 - 0537

The Brockbridge Correctional Facility originated as Sandy Point Correctional Camp. In 1966, the Camp was relocated to Jessup and renamed Maryland Correctional Camp Center (Chapter 385, Acts of 1966). The Center was converted to a medium-security facility and renamed Brockbridge Correctional Facility in 1979.

P. O. Box 536
Jessup, MD 20794 - 0536

After the former Jessup Pre-Release Unit was reorganized as the Herman L. Toulson Correctional Boot Camp in August 1990, a new Jessup Pre-Release Unit opened in September 1990. Under both minimum- and pre-release-security, the Unit offers education, job readiness training, and work release. Inmates provide labor for Spring Grove Hospital Center, Crownsville Hospital Center, the State Police Barracks at Waterloo, and the Maryland State Agency for Surplus Property.

Designed for 420 male inmates, the Unit underwent construction which increased capacity to 560 inmates in 1992.

P. O. Box 1425
Jessup, MD 20794 - 1425

The former Jessup Pre-Release Unit was reorganized as the Herman L. Toulson Correctional Boot Camp in August 1990. The Camp was named after Herman L. Toulson, Jr., a correctional officer who was stabbed by an inmate in the south wing of the Maryland Penitentiary on October 6, 1984.

A minimum-security institution, the Boot Camp is a setting where staff and inmates focus on changing behavior and confronting destructive attitudes. Through disciplined activities, Boot Camp enables inmates to examine and change their attitudes and values, confront their mistakes, and accept responsibility for their acts.

To be eligible for Boot Camp, inmates must be under 26 years of age, serving five years or less of their first adult incarceration, and not serving a sentence for a crime of violence. Inmates must volunteer for the program and be medically, physically and psychologically fit.

Boot Camp is based on strict discipline established through regimented physical training, military drill, and comprehensive rules and regulations. Inmates labor on State highway road crews five days a week. On Saturdays, inmates work on special projects for local nonprofit organizations. Boot Camp maintenance is performed by the inmates. Academic school is mandatory each weekday evening. Counseling for substance abuse, decision-making, and behavior modification is available for each inmate. Daily, the Camp averages 300 inmates.

901 Greenmount Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21202

With a capacity for 250 inmates, the Baltimore City Correctional Center opened in July 1984 as part of the Maryland Correctional Pre-Release System. The Center houses male prisoners who require minimum security.

926 Greenmount Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21202

The Baltimore Pre-Release Unit opened in April 1981. The Unit was formed from the merger of the Community Vocational Rehabilitation Center and the Greenmount Avenue Pre-Release Unit. The Baltimore Pre-Release Unit prepares inmates to return to the community. Unit programs and services emphasize job readiness training, work crews, work experience, and work release.

301 North Calverton Road
Baltimore, MD 21223

The Baltimore Pre-Release Unit for Women began in July 1975 as the Community Corrections Center for Women. In 1978, the Center was renamed the Pre-Release Unit for Women and was placed under jurisdiction of the Maryland Correctional Pre-Release System (Code 1957, Art. 27, secs. 706-710E). The Unit moved from 4500 Park Heights Avenue to its present site in July 1991. At that time, it was renamed Baltimore Pre-Release Unit for Women. The facility has a capacity for 100 inmates.

2100 Guilford Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21218

In 1990, the General Assembly authorized the Home Detention Program, which started in January 1991 (Chapter 414, Acts of 1990). The Program allows carefully selected inmates to serve the last part of their sentences in the community. Inmates are monitored by an electronic anklet, periodic telephone voice verification, and random visits by correctional staff. The Unit operates 24 hours a day, seven days per week, to enforce inmate compliance and provide rehabilitation services. The Program began with 40 inmates in Fiscal Year 1991 and as of January 1, 1996 has served 10,747 inmates. Parolees and persons awaiting trial also are eligible for home detention.

P. O. Box 394
Sykesville, MD 21784 - 0394

The Central Laundry Facility was formed in 1960 to serve the laundry needs of institutions under what is now the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Located at Springfield Hospital Center, the Unit also takes care of laundry for institutions of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services and the Department of Juvenile Justice. The Unit is a minimum-security institution.

P. O. Box 159
Route 1
Charlotte Hall, MD 20622 - 0159

Southern Maryland Pre-Release Unit was dedicated in 1962. Approximately one-fourth of the men assigned to the unit are employed in the community through a work-release program. Other inmates labor in work details for the State Police Barracks at Waldorf and Prince Frederick, the Natural Resources Police Force, the Charles County Department of Public Works, the State Highway Administration, and the Maryland Veterans Cemetery at Cheltenham. The Unit can house 180 male inmates.

P. O. Box 122
Church Hill, MD 21623 - 0122

Eastern Pre-Release Unit opened in 1964 in Queen Anne's County. The Unit can house 180 male inmates in open-style dormitories. Educational, vocational, employment and release readiness programs are available to the prisoners as are recreational, religious and addictions programs.

P. O. Box 14
Quantico, MD 21856 -0014

Poplar Hill Pre-Release Unit was created in 1950. Originally, the Unit provided inmate labor to the highway departments of Wicomico, Dorchester, Somerset and Worcester counties. Now, inmates at Poplar Hill provide public services through contracts with the State Highway Administration, Deer's Head Center, the Department of Natural Resources, and local governments. In a renovated farm house on the premises, educational and employment readiness programs are conducted. Vocational programming is available through contract with the Somerset County Board of Education. Pre-release programming includes work release and family leave.


23 Fontana Lane, Suite 105
Baltimore, MD 21237

State Use Industries was established under the Board of Correction in 1937 (Chapter 213, Acts of 1937). In 1970, the program was placed within the Division of Correction. The program was designed to provide essential work and training for prisoners and to produce needed goods for State government with inmate labor.

At a cost that does not exceed the prevailing average market price, State Use Industries supplies services and produces goods. These are used by municipal, county, State and federal institutions or agencies and those of other states. They also are available to any charitable, civic, educational, fraternal or religious association, institution, or agency for its own use and not for resale to others within one year of purchase (Code 1957, Art. 27, secs. 680-681M).


P. O. Box 7555
Waterloo Road
Jessup, MD 20794 - 7555

Authorized in 1951, Patuxent Institution opened in 1955 under administration by the Department of Correction (Chapter 476, Acts of 1951). The Institution became an autonomous agency under the control of the Board of Patuxent Institution in 1961 (Chapter 629, Acts of 1961). In 1970, the Institution was made part of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (Chapter 401, Acts of 1970). Patuxent's status has continued as an institution separate from the Division of Correction, and it has retained its own board.

Patuxent Institution treats and rehabilitates eligible male and female prisoners who are mentally disordered or physically impaired, including some chronic youthful offenders. The Institution offers medical, psychiatric, psychological and social casework services, as well as academic, vocational, recreational and religious services. Treatment also is provided for individuals on pre-parole and parole status.

The Commissioner of Correction may refer a prisoner to Patuxent Institution for evaluation when so recommended by the sentencing court, the State's Attorney of the jurisdiction in which the person was last sentenced, or the staff of the Division of Correction. The Commissioner also may refer prisoners in response to their applications. Each referred prisoner is transferred to the Institution and evaluated by a team consisting of at least three professional employees of the Institution, including at least one psychiatrist, one psychologist, and one social worker. The evaluation team assembles and reviews relevant information and examines the prisoner. The team then determines whether the individual is eligible and states its findings in a report to the Director. If not eligible, the prisoner is returned to the Division of Correction to continue his or her sentence. If eligible, the prisoner remains at Patuxent Institution for treatment.

Appointed by the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services, the Director administers the Institution. Of two Associate Directors, one must be a psychiatrist and one a behavioral scientist. They assist primarily in diagnosis and treatment. The Warden is in charge of custody. By law, the staff also must include at least three additional psychiatrists or clinical psychologists, and at least four trained social workers (Code 1957, Art. 31B).

The Institutional Board of Review for Patuxent Institution was created in 1951 (Chapter 476, Acts of 1951). The Board was reorganized and renamed as the Board of Review in 1989 (Chapter 6, Acts of 1989).

At least annually, the Board reviews the status of each inmate at Patuxent Institution. The Board may grant leave or parole and, if it determines that the individual is no longer eligible for the Institution's programs, it may order the individual transferred to the jurisdiction of the Commissioner of Correction. If a person has successfully completed three years probation without violation, the Board may petition the court to suspend or vacate the remaining sentence.

The Board's nine members include the Director, the Warden, and two Associate Directors of Patuxent Institution. With Senate advice and consent, the Governor appoints five members to serve four-year terms. The Governor names the chair (Code 1957, Art. 31B, sec. 6).

319 West Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201

To provide for continuation of treatment, the Patuxent Institution operates the Patuxent Re-Entry Facility, a halfway house in metropolitan Baltimore. Here, clinic staff offer psychotherapy, job and family counseling, and social casework services for work-release inmates. The Facility also houses an After Care Center for the Correctional Options Program, with clinical guidance through Patuxent Institution.


6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 305
Baltimore, MD 21215 - 2341

The Division of Parole and Probation was formed in 1939 to administer State parole and probation laws (Chapter 406, Acts of 1939). In 1953, the Division was renamed the Department of Parole and Probation (Chapter 653, Acts of 1953). The Department was reorganized in 1968 separate from the Board of Parole (Chapter 457, Acts of 1968). In 1970, the Department was renamed the Division of Parole and Probation (Chapter 401, Acts of 1970).

The Division supervises the conduct of parolees and adult probationers. It regularly informs the Maryland Parole Commission of parolees' activities and notifies the District or Circuit Courts of probationers' activities. At its discretion, the Division recommends that the Commission issue arrest warrants for parole violators. Warrants also are requested from the courts to apprehend probationers charged with violating conditions of their probation.

The Division supervises and provides services to offenders based upon the risk of their continued criminal activity. For parolees, probationers, and offenders for whom supervision is mandatory, the Division offers counseling, social casework, and diagnosis of substance abuse and other problems. Citizen volunteers help counsel parolees and probationers to lead law-abiding lives.

Various types of investigations are undertaken by the Division. When requested, the Division conducts investigations for the courts of Maryland, the Maryland Parole Commission, and when the sentencing of a defendant convicted of felony in a Circuit Court may result in the defendant being remanded to the jurisdiction of the Division of Correction or Patuxent Institution.

At the direction of the Court of Special Appeals, the Division investigates, reports, and makes recommendations regarding applications for review of criminal sentences. Where a felony offense caused physical, psychological or economic injury, the Division prepares a victim impact statement as part of the presentence investigation. A victim impact statement also is prepared when a misdemeanor offense has caused serious physical injury or death.

Division investigations help the Maryland Parole Commission determine whether to grant parole. At the request of the Governor or the Governor's designee, the Division also investigates and reports on persons applying for pardon, commutation of sentence, or clemency. In addition, the Division investigates the home and employment proposals of parolees and probationers from other states wanting to live in Maryland under the Uniform Out-of-State Parolee Supervision Act.

The Director of Parole and Probation is appointed by the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services with the approval of the Governor and Senate advice and consent. The Director serves at the pleasure of the Secretary. (Code 1957, Art. 41, secs. 4-601 through 4-613).

The Drinking Driver Monitor Program began in 1983. The Program requires that drivers suffering from alcoholism participate in substance abuse education or treatment. They also must learn to refrain from driving while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled dangerous substance.


The Bureau of Administrative Services provides fiscal, administrative, training, technical and personnel services to the Division of Parole and Probation and its field operations.


The Bureau of Field Operations was organized in 1978 to decentralize the statewide administration of parole and probation services. Under the Bureau are the Correctional Options Program, four regional offices, the Case Monitoring Unit, and the Interstate Compact Unit.

Started in March 1994, the Correctional Options Program oversees community programs that are alternatives to incarceration in the metropolitan Baltimore area. These include home detention, drug court, day reporting, boot camps, intensive parole supervision, a regimented offender treatment center, and a re-entry aftercare facility.

Regional Offices of Criminal Supervision began as Offices of Regional Operations in 1980. They were reorganized under their present name in 1994.

The four Regional Offices administer the supervision of probationers and parolees by agents assigned to some forty field offices.


6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 307
Baltimore, MD 21215 - 2341

The Maryland Parole Commission originated in 1914 as the Advisory Board of Parole (Chapter 500, Acts of 1914). In 1922, Board functions were assumed by the Parole Commissioner (Chapter 29, Acts of 1922). The Board of Parole and Probation succeeded the Parole Commissioner in 1939 (Chapter 406, Acts of 1939). In 1968, the Board of Parole and Probation was reformed as the Board of Parole (Chapter 457, Acts of 1968). It was replaced by the Maryland Parole Commission in 1976 (Chapter 540, Acts of 1976).

Having served one-fourth of the term or consecutive terms in confinement, a prisoner is considered for parole if sentenced to a term of six months or more under jurisdiction of the Division of Correction, or any other place of confinement or detention for violators of State criminal laws. This includes local jails and detention centers.

The Commission has exclusive power to hear certain serious cases for parole release and to conduct hearings for revocation of parole. The Commission can issue warrants for the return to custody of alleged violators of parole and can suspend or revoke parole upon a showing of its violation.

To hear certain cases for parole release, the Commission uses hearing examiners. Decisions of the examiners, if concurred with by the Commission on summary review, become final. A final decision of the examiner may be appealed to a panel of Commission members for review upon the record. The decision of the appeal panel is final.

The Commission may ask the Division of Parole and Probation, the Division of Correction, or the Division of Pretrial Detention and Services to make investigations to help determine the advisability of granting parole. The Commission evaluates information from the Division of Parole and Probation on the behavior of parolees. In addition, the Commission directs the Division of Parole and Probation to conduct investigations from which recommendations are made to the Governor on pardons, commutations of sentences, and parole of persons sentenced to life imprisonment.

The Commission also may negotiate and execute tri-party contracts for the release on parole of an inmate at a predetermined future date, and upon the fulfillment of conditions specified in the contract. Signatories to such mutual agreements are the Maryland Parole Commission, the Commissioner of Correction, and the inmate.

The Commission's eight members are appointed to six-year terms by the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services with the Governor's approval and Senate advice and consent. With the Governor's approval, the Secretary of Public Safety and Correctional Services names the chair (Code 1957, Art. 41, secs. 4-501 through 4-512).

Maryland Executive Departments

Maryland Manual On-Line

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 1998

July 10, 1998   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 06, 1998 Maryland State Archives