DEPARTMENT OF GENERAL SERVICES


OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY

301 West Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

Appointed by the Governor with Senate advice and consent, the Secretary of General Services is chief executive officer of the Department. The Secretary sets policy, promulgates rules and regulations, and manages Department programs and services. The Secretary also develops and oversees the budgets of the Department and its boards, commissions, and offices.

The Secretary of General Services advises the Board of Public Works and State government agencies on all public improvements and engineering matters (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 4-403 through 4-406). At meetings of the Board of Public Works, the Secretary presents the Department's portion of the Board's agenda. The Secretary also serves on the Board's Procurement Advisory Council.

In addition to chairing the Government House Trust, the Secretary serves on the Governor's Executive Council; the State Information Technology Board; the Hall of Records Commission; the Maryland Food Center Authority; the General Professional Services Selection Board; and the Asbestos Oversight Committee. The Secretary also is a member of the Pricing Committee for Blind Industries and Services of Maryland; the Pricing and Selection Committee for Rehabilitation and Employment Programs; the State Use Industries Advisory Committee; the Commission on Correctional Standards; the Interagency Committee on School Construction; the Interagency Economic Growth, Resource Protection, and Planning Committee; and the Interdepartmental Advisory Committee for Minority Affairs.


DEPUTY SECRETARY

301 West Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The Deputy Secretary advises the Secretary of General Services, performs special assignments, and shares responsibility with the Secretary for management of the Department. The Deputy Secretary also oversees the work of the State Board of Architectural Review, the Procurement Review Board, and the War Memorial Commission.

STATE BOARD OF ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW
301 West Preston St., Room 1405
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The State Board of Architectural Review began in 1949 (Chapter 80, Acts of 1949). The Board reviews architectural designs and drawings for new State buildings or for reconstruction or repair of existing State buildings and recommends ways to make facilities functional and practical.

The Board has seven members. They are appointed to four-year terms by the Governor upon recommendation of the Secretary of General Services and with Senate advice and consent (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 4-701 through 4-704).

PROCUREMENT REVIEW BOARD
301 West Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The Procurement Review Board was formed in 1981 when the Board of Public Works delegated to the Department authority to review and approve internally certain contracts, or procurement transactions (COMAR 21.02.01.04B). The Department is required to report to the Board of Public Works concerning these contracts.

Membership includes all assistant secretaries of the Department.

WAR MEMORIAL COMMISSION
War Memorial Building
Gay and Lexington Sts.
Baltimore, MD 21202

The War Memorial Commission was created in 1924 (Chapter 537, Acts of 1924). The Commission has custody and supervision of the War Memorial Building and the War Memorial Plaza, which were erected in Baltimore City to honor Maryland veterans of World War I. Maintenance costs of this facility are shared equally by the State and the City of Baltimore. The building is open and available for meetings of veterans' groups and patriotic societies, and for civic gatherings, provided that no collection or donation is taken nor any admission charged.

The Commission's ten members serve five-year terms. Five are appointed by the Secretary of General Services with the Governor's approval, and five by the Mayor of Baltimore City (Code State Government Article, secs. 9-801 through 9-807).


FACILITIES OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE

Central Services Building
29 St. John's St.
Annapolis, MD 21401

To separate operations and maintenance from planning, engineering, and construction, Facilities Operations and Maintenance was established in 1993. This office oversees operations and maintenance of the 51 facilities throughout the State for which the Department of General Services is responsible. These facilities, totalling over 5.6 million square feet of space, include the three State office centers and eleven regional multi-service centers.

Under Facilities Operations and Maintenance are three divisions: Annapolis Public Buildings and Grounds; Baltimore Public Buildings and Grounds; and the Inner Harbor State Office Complex.

ANNAPOLIS PUBLIC BUILDINGS & GROUNDS DIVISION

Central Services Building
29 St. John's St.
Annapolis, MD 21401

The responsibility to care for State buildings in Annapolis dates to 1862 when the Governor was authorized to appoint custodians (Chapter 15, Acts of 1862). These duties devolved to a superintendent who, in 1970, headed the Office of Annapolis Public Buildings and Grounds within the Department of General Services (Chapter 97, Acts of 1970).

The Annapolis Public Buildings and Grounds Division operates, maintains, and secures the State Office Center in Annapolis. Some thirty State-owned buildings encompassing over 2 million square feet on 49 acres of landscaped areas and 24.5 acres of parking lots are overseen by the Division. The buildings house approximately 5,000 State employees and elected officials. The Division also maintains Government House and other historic buildings, including the State House, the Old Treasury Building and Shaw House. In addition, the Division cares for the Crownsville People's Resource Center and the Crownsville Day Care Center in Anne Arundel County. Since 1993, the Division has been responsible for the multi-service centers in Anne Arundel, Queen Anne's, Caroline and Wicomico counties.

To preserve facilities and equipment, the Division provides both preventive and routine maintenance; makes major repairs, alterations, and improvements; and supplies equipment and materials to maintain the State Office Center. A special police force and guards provide 24-hour security.

BALTIMORE PUBLIC BUILDINGS & GROUNDS DIVISION

301 West Preston St., Room M-6
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The Baltimore Public Buildings and Grounds Division originated in 1958 when responsibilities for State buildings in Baltimore were assigned to a superintendent (Chapter 40, Acts of 1958). In 1970, these duties were delegated to the Office of Baltimore Public Buildings and Grounds when the Department of General Services was established (Chapter 97, Acts of 1970). By 1979, the Office was called a division.

The Baltimore Public Buildings and Grounds Division is responsible for the operation, maintenance, and security of five State buildings in Baltimore City. They are located at 201 West Preston St.; 300 West Preston St.; 301 West Preston St.; 2100 Guilford Ave.; and 500 North Calvert St. The Division also oversees multi-service centers in Baltimore City, and Baltimore and Howard counties.

The Division provides both preventive and routine maintenance, major repairs, alterations, improvements, supplies, and housekeeping services for facilities and equipment. The Division's special police and building guards offer around-the-clock security. The Baltimore State Office Complex includes seven buildings housing some 5,400 State employees, 14 acres of landscaped area, and 19 acres of parking lots. The Division also maintains the four acres of the Maryland Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.

INNER HARBOR STATE OFFICE COMPLEX

6 St. Paul St.
Baltimore, MD 21202

The Inner Harbor State Office Complex was formed in 1986 as the Saratoga State Center Division. The Division reorganized in 1992 as the Central North Public Buildings and Grounds Division and received its present name in 1994.

In Baltimore City, the Inner Harbor State Office Complex operates, maintains, and secures State buildings at 6 St. Paul St. (William Donald Schaefer Tower); 200 West Baltimore St. (Civic Plaza); 310 West Saratoga St.; 311 West Saratoga St.; and 500 North Hilton St. (Rosemont Center). In Howard County, the Complex is responsible for the State Records Management Center and Warehouse at 7275 Waterloo Road and the Motor Fuel Lab in Jessup. The Complex also oversees the Woodstock Center and multi-service centers in Baltimore, Calvert, Cecil and Harford counties.

At the Jessup facility, the Complex provides both preventive and routine maintenance and oversees the contractual provision of some maintenance tasks and services. At the Saratoga State Center, the Complex provides preventive and routine maintenance, repairs, alterations, improvements, housekeeping, and security services for facilities and equipment. The Complex also supplies maintenance equipment and materials.


FACILITIES PLANNING, ENGINEERING, & CONSTRUCTION

301 West Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

Facilities Planning, Engineering, and Construction began as the Office of Plant Management in 1971 to oversee State buildings and grounds in Annapolis and Baltimore. The Office was reorganized in 1974 as the Division of Plant Management under the Office of Engineering and Construction. By 1979, the Division joined the Office of Facilities Acquisition and Management, which became the Office of Facilities Management by 1985. In 1989, the Office was renamed the Office of Statewide Facilities Maintenance. It reformed in 1993 as Facilities Planning, Engineering, and Construction. At that time, Facilities Operations and Maintenance began to oversee government buildings and grounds.

Facilities Planning, Engineering, and Construction is responsible for the Project Cost Center, and two divisions: Construction and Inspection; and Project Management and Design. This office coordinates the development and implementation of policies, procedures, regulations, and standards to ensure that programs and services meet the needs of State agencies. In addition, it provides architectural and engineering staff to the General Professional Services Selection Board.

GENERAL PROFESSIONAL SERVICES SELECTION BOARD
301 West Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The General Professional Services Selection Board was established in 1974 to offer an equitable method for awarding State contracts (Chapter 732, Acts of 1974). The Board awards architectural and engineering contracts on certain State-financed capital projects for which the design fee exceeds $100,000. The Board negotiates service contracts with the most qualified architectural and engineering firms at a price the Board determines to be fair, competitive, and reasonable.

The Board consists of four permanent members and one floating member. Permanent members are the Secretary of General Services or designee; one member chosen by the Governor from within the Department upon recommendation of the Secretary; and two members appointed to five-year terms by the Governor. The floating member is the head or designee of the State agency that proposes to procure architectural or engineering services (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 13-201 through 13-218).

CONSTRUCTION & INSPECTION DIVISION

300 West Preston St., Room 402
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2308

Origins of the Construction and Inspection Division date to 1970, when the Construction Supervision and Inspection Division was formed. Renamed Construction Management and Assessment Division in 1992, the Division became Construction and Assessment in 1993, and later that year the Construction Division. In 1996, it received its present name.

The Division inspects and supervises private contractors as they alter, renovate, or construct State buildings. By monitoring their work, the Division ensures that construction conforms to approved designs and specifications.

PROJECT COST CENTER

301 West Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201

The Project Cost Center provides architectural and construction services in the cost management of major and complex engineering projects. It prepares the Department's capital budget and represents the Department at legislative budget hearings. For the Department of Budget and Management, the Center reviews and revises capital budget requests from State agencies, including estimates analysis, conceptual design, and coordination. It also supervises value engineering procedures of in-house personnel and consultants to assure that capital projects over $10 million stay within their budget.

PROJECT MANAGEMENT & DESIGN DIVISION

301 West Preston St., Room 1405
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The Project Management and Design Division was created in 1970 as the Design and Approval Division. Renamed Technical Services in 1991, it reorganized as the Engineering and Design Division in 1992. Under its present name, it assumed duties of the Project Management Division and the Public School and Community College Construction Division in 1996.

The Division prepares all project documents required to construct and renovate State facilities. It oversees the work of architectural and engineering firms in preparing construction documents; reviews those documents at programmed stages of development; administers the construction bidding phase of the project; and advises the Construction Division during construction on any technical changes that occur.

To maintain State-owned facilities, the Division sets standards; assesses the condition and management practices of each building; and, for most facilities, reviews and verifies the funding needed for maintenance. For Facilities Operations and Maintenance, the Division performs special consulting services.

The Division also administers two programs.


FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION

301 West Preston St., Room 1201
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

Finance and Administration directs Department operations and administration, and coordinates preparation of the Department budget. Under Finance and Administration are Administration and two divisions: Fiscal Services and Personnel. In 1997, the Maryland State Agency for Surplus Property was placed under Finance and Administration.

MARYLAND STATE AGENCY FOR SURPLUS PROPERTY
P. O. Box 122
Brock Bridge Road
Jessup, MD 20794 - 0122

The Maryland State Agency for Surplus Property redistributes federal and State surplus property, either to nonprofit health or educational institutions and public agencies in Maryland or by sale to the public. Nonprofit organizations may apply to participate and pay a service fee on goods received. The Agency is a self-supporting public service.

The Agency offers jobs and training to inmates from Jessup correctional facilities who are in the pre-release program. The inmates learn furniture refinishing, repair and reupholstery; automotive repair; and small engine repair while reconditioning or repairing surplus property to increase its resale value. Such property may be viewed at the Agency's warehouse in Jessup. The Agency also coordinates with other State agencies such programs as the distribution of surplus federal blankets to homeless shelters and surplus federal computers and educational equipment to local school boards.

Originally organized in 1947, the Agency was established by Executive Order in 1955. The Agency was formerly under the University of Maryland and joined the Department of General Services in 1987 (Executive Order 01.01.1987.19). In 1996, it was placed under the Materials Management Division and, in 1997, under Finance and Administration.

FISCAL SERVICES DIVISION

301 West Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The Fiscal Services Division started as the Office of Administrative and Fiscal Services and was reorganized in 1991 as Fiscal and Contract Services. The unit received its present name in 1993.

The Division manages the Department budget and provides accounting services to the Department and for statewide capital construction and maintenance administered by the Department. The Division formulates accounting policies, procedures, and internal control standards and monitors compliance with them.


PROCUREMENT & LOGISTICS

301 West Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

In 1970, Procurement and Logistics began as the Office of Central Services. The Office was reorganized as Services and Logistics in 1991 and assumed its present name in 1995.

Procurement and Logistics oversees the Procurement and Contracting Office, Minority Business Enterprise, and four divisions: Information Services; Inventory Standards and Support Services; Records Management; and Visual Communications and Digital Imaging. This office coordinates the development and implementation of policies, procedures, regulations, and standards to assure that programs and services meet the needs of the agencies served.

MINORITY BUSINESS ENTERPRISE
Minority Business Enterprise oversees departmental procedures and policies for procuring supplies, services, maintenance, architectural and engineering services, and construction contracts. The unit also monitors procurement contract performance to ensure compliance with State law. To secure at least fourteen percent of both total contract dollars and number of procurements for certified minority business enterprises, the unit conducts outreach activities within the minority business community (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 14-301 through 14-308).

INFORMATION SERVICES DIVISION

301 West Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

Functions of the Information Services Division were organized by 1981 as Data Information Services under the Office of Administration and Fiscal Services. By 1983, the unit became the Information Services Division and continued under the Office of Administrative and Fiscal Services until 1989, when it transferred to the Office of Telecommunications. In 1991, the Division was made part of Finance and Administration. Then, in 1997, it was transferred to Procurement and Logistics.

The Information Services Division manages and operates the Department's data and word processing resources, including the Department's two IBM System 36 Minicomputers, and one AS/400 Minicomputer. The Division also provides security for these systems and serves as project manager in developing custom applications software for the IBM System 36 and AS/400.

Centralized word processing for the Department is provided by the Division. In addition, the Division supports the Department through systems analysis and programming, and network and personal computer administration.

INVENTORY STANDARDS & SUPPORT SERVICES DIVISION

300 West Preston St., Room 400
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2308

The Inventory Standards and Support Services Division originated in 1977 as the Inventory Management Division (Chapter 970, Acts of 1977). It became the Inventory Standards and Support Services Division in 1992. As Inventory Standards and Support Services, it was placed under the Materials Management Division in 1996. It was reorganized as a division again in 1997.

The Division manages the use of State government property and plans and controls inventories of State materials, supplies, and food items. To minimize the cost of maintaining inventories, it establishes investment standards and controls for government agencies. The Division issues policy guidelines and regulations and provides technical assistance to State agencies on inventory controls, planning, storage, and distribution. It manages physical inventory, personal property disposal, and the State's Office Waste Recycling Program. The Division also oversees the Automated Fuel Management Program which, by 1995, had 52 stations dispensing gasoline, diesel fuel, and compressed natural gas to some 12,000 State agency vehicles.

PROCUREMENT & CONTRACTING OFFICE

301 West Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The Procurement and Contracting Office was formed in November 1993 to centralize procurement and contracting functions of the Department. The Office oversees procurement for commodities, design and construction, and services for facilities and real estate.

Under the Office are five programs: Commodity Procurement and the Purchasing Bureau; Facilities and Construction Contracting; Management Support; Procurement Administration and Support; and Services Contracting.

COMMODITY PROCUREMENT & THE PURCHASING BUREAU
Commodity Procurement and the Purchasing Bureau began in 1920 as the Central Purchasing Bureau (Chapter 184, Acts of 1920). The Bureau was placed under the Department of General Services in 1970 (Chapter 97, Acts of 1970). In 1993, the Bureau was made part of the Procurement and Contracting Office.

The Bureau purchases all materials, supplies, and equipment used by State agencies. Annually, it buys over $150 million worth of commodities ranging from office supplies to medicines and food items.

State agencies must submit requisitions to the Bureau for all purchases, except exempt commodities or those costing less than $1,000. The requisition identifies both the commodity and quantity requested. The commodity may be ordered through an open-ended contract developed by the Bureau, bid through the Bureau as an individual requirement, or ordered as part of the Bureau's scheduled purchase program. Emergency procurements can be made by an agency whenever the purchase is necessary to preserve human life or State property (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 4-301 through 4-315).

FACILITIES & CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTING
Facilities and Construction Contracting began in December 1993. To support State facility construction and renewal, the unit arranges for architectural, engineering, construction and maintenance services.

MANAGEMENT SUPPORT
Management Support originated as the Contract Services Division under Finance and Administration. The Division was renamed Management Support and made part of the Procurement and Contracting Office in 1993. Management Support oversees all capital project bidding and prepares and distributes the Department's action agenda to the Board of Public Works. The unit also prepares and distributes the agenda of the Procurement Review Board. Monthly, the unit compiles a Procurement Agency Activity Report that describes transactions approved by the Procurement Review Board.

PROCUREMENT ADMINISTRATION & SUPPORT
Created in 1992, Procurement Administration and Support provides administrative and data processing support to the Procurement and Contracting Office and other divisions under Procurement and Logistics. The office works on program reports and special projects for the Assistant Secretary for Procurement and Logistics, oversees bids and proposals, implements commodity and printing procurement initiatives for Minority Business Enterprise, maintains the master vendor file, and oversees computer operations training.

Through its Computer Information Services Section, Procurement Administration and Support supervises the Advanced Purchasing and Inventory Control System (ADPICS), which replaced the Central Automated Purchasing System (CAPS) in 1995. ADPICS was designed as part of the statewide Financial Management Information System (FMIS), an integrated management information system. Many procurement and inventory functions were automated by ADPICS, allowing government agencies to report procurement and inventory data as well as process procurement requests electronically.

SERVICES CONTRACTING
Formed in December 1993, Services Contracting procures all building services for State-owned buildings. Contracts are made for a variety of services, including janitorial services, pest control, security, carpentry, painting, mechanical equipment, and plumbing.

RECORDS MANAGEMENT DIVISION

P. O. Box 275
State Records Management Center
7275 Waterloo Road (Routes 175 & U.S. 1)
Jessup, MD 20794 - 0275

Authorized in 1953, the Records Management Division originally was administered by the Hall of Records Commission (Chapter 436, Acts of 1953). The Division moved to the Department of General Services in 1984 (Chapter 286, Acts of 1984).

The Division manages the records of all departments and agencies of Maryland State government and helps prepare retention and disposal schedules for those records. By law, no public records of State agencies can be destroyed without scheduling and the prior approval of the State Archives.

At the Central Records Center in Jessup, the Division stores inactive State records, which must be retained for specified periods of time to meet State legal and administrative needs. The Division also coordinates the Forms Management Program and the forms management plans of each department or agency to minimize the number of forms needed. In addition, to all State agencies, the Division offers cost-reimbursable microfilm services, including both source-document and computer-output microfilming (Code State Government Article, secs. 10-631 through 10-634).

VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS & DIGITAL IMAGING DIVISION

301 West Preston St., Room M-8
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The Visual Communications and Digital Imaging Division evolved from certain functions of two agencies: the Purchasing Bureau and the Office Services Section. In 1970, the Office Services Section was formed within the Office of Central Services. When the printing purchasing functions of the Purchasing Bureau were combined with the Office Services Section, the Printing and Publication Division was created in 1974. After formation of the Office of Procurements and Contracting, the Division restructured as the Graphics and Reproduction Services in 1994. It was renamed the Visual Communications and Digital Imaging Division in 1997.

The Division assists State agencies with graphic reproduction, including printing, publishing, duplicating, photocopying, graphic design, typography and graphic art production. The Division helps State agencies set performance standards and goals for in-State duplicating and copying installations. It also prepares State specifications and standards for printing, publication, equipment, and supplies. Procurements of equipment, supplies and services for them are made by or through the Division and are subject to Division standards (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, sec. 4-305). In addition, the Division provides agencies with duplicating and photocopying on a reimbursable basis from its Annapolis and Baltimore Duplicating Centers. These centers offer same-day service and short-run, short-schedule service not economically available from commercial sources.

In Baltimore and Annapolis, the Division's courier system delivers interoffice mail and duplicating orders for State government agencies. U.S. mail is picked up by the Division, metered with postage, and given to a contract firm for presorting.

The Division's Visual Communications Section provides layout and design services, including type selection, lettering, line drawings, arrangement of composite copy for photography, cover design, and preparation of camera-ready copy on a reimbursable basis.


REAL ESTATE

300 West Preston St., Room 601
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2308

Real Estate was formed administratively by the Department of General Services in July 1978. The office coordinates the State's real estate activities and long-term strategic planning for the acquisition, disposition, and use of leased and State-owned facilities. This office oversees three units: Acquisition and Disposal; Legal Counsel; and Valuation and Appraisal.

LAND ACQUISITION & DISPOSAL

Land Acquisition and Disposal began in 1969 as the Land Acquisition Division of the Department of Public Improvements (Chapter 403, Acts of 1969). The Division joined the Department of General Services in 1970 and became Land Acquisition and Disposal in 1991. In 1995, functions of Land Acquisition and Disposal merged with Lease Management and Procurement.

Land Acquisition and Disposal purchases, leases, and disposes of real property for all State agencies (except the Department of Transportation). Two units are overseen by the office: Lease Management and Procurement, and Program Open Space.

LEASE MANAGEMENT & PROCUREMENT
For State agencies, Lease Management and Procurement oversees the acquisition of commercial real property for use as State offices and procures leases of real property (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 4-318 through 4-321). It conducts surveys of State requirements for leased space, sets standards for the allocation and assignment of leased and State-owned space, and approves space modifications. The unit ensures landlord compliance with the federal Americans with Disabilities Act and oversees alterations of leased facilities. In addition, the unit negotiates certain concession agreements and makes recommendations to the Board of Public Works on the need for State office space construction.

PROGRAM OPEN SPACE
The Program Open Space unit was formed in 1996. It acquires all Open Space property for State parks, wildlife preserves, and natural environment areas for the Department of Natural Resources. To secure such property, the unit obtains independent appraisals, negotiates with owners, secures purchase options, and requests Board of Public Works approval on the proposed terms of purchase. The disposition of excess property and property transfers between State agencies also are processed by Program Open Space and presented for approval to the Board of Public Works. In addition, the unit processes requests to obtain or grant rights of way and public utility, preservation, and scenic easements (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 4-411 through 4-414).

LEGAL COUNSEL

Legal Counsel prepares and reviews leases, contracts of sale, deeds, easements, rights-of-way, and real estate transaction documents. The unit acquires title insurance and ensures the accuracy of title and property descriptions. To other State agencies, Legal Counsel also provides assistance with interagency transfers or agreements, and joint acquisitions of property.

VALUATION & APPRAISAL

Formed in 1992, Valuation and Appraisal oversees matters of real estate valuation for all State agencies, except the Department of Transportation. The unit obtains and reviews independent appraisals of properties to be acquired by State government. It also evaluates appraisals for capital grants and loans, disposes of State real property assets, and conducts appraisals and special studies.

Maryland Executive Departments


Maryland Manual On-Line

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 1998

July 10, 1998   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 06, 1998 Maryland State Archives