DEPARTMENT OF
BUSINESS & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT


OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY

The Secretary of Business and Economic Development is chief executive officer of the Department and is appointed by the Governor with Senate advice and consent. The Secretary sets policy, promulgates rules and regulations, and determines the strategies necessary to fulfill the Department's mandate. The Secretary is responsible for the budget of the Department, its boards, commissions, and offices. To administer the Department, the Secretary is assisted by the Deputy Secretary. The Deputy Secretary is appointed by the Secretary with the approval of the Governor.

The Secretary serves on the Governor's Executive Council; the Cabinet Council for Career and Technology Education; the Maryland Economic Development Commission; the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority; the Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority; and the Maryland Advisory Commission on Manufacturing Competitiveness. The Secretary also serves on the Community Reinvestment Board; the Emergency Management Advisory Council; the Maryland Aviation Commission; the State Information Technology Board; the State Use Industries Advisory Committee; the Governor's Council on Adolescent Pregnancy; the Maryland Advisory Council for Individuals with Disabilities; the Interagency Committee on Aging Services; the Interagency Economic Growth, Resource Protection, and Planning Committee; and the Interdepartmental Advisory Committee for Minority Affairs.

Under the Secretary are offices for communications, legislative liaison, and the Governor's Ombudsman.

MARYLAND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION
The Maryland Economic Development Commission was formed first by the Governor and then by statute in 1995 (Executive Order 01.01.1995.04; Chapter 120, Acts of 1995). The Commission establishes economic development policy in the State and oversees Department efforts to attract and retain businesses and jobs. In December 1995, the Commission completed a strategic plan for economic development in the State. The plan, Strategic Directions for Increasing Maryland's Competitiveness, recommended to the Governor program and spending priorities to attract business to Maryland. A second report, Strategic Directions for Increasing Competitiveness of Maryland's Growth Industry Sectors, was submitted to the Governor in May 1997.

The Commission advises the Secretary of Business and Economic Development on regulations for financing programs and on the allocation of financial incentives. From the private sector, the Commission raises funds to supplement economic development programs and financial incentives to business.

Appointed to three-year terms by the Governor, the Commission has no more than twenty-one voting members. The Secretary of Business and Economic Development is a nonvoting member. The Governor names the chair (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 1-201 through 1-204).


DIVISION OF ADMINISTRATION

Created in 1987, the Division of Administration advises agencies and senior program directors of the Department on fund accounts, personnel, and purchasing. The Division develops departmental budget proposals and projections.

The Division provides mailroom services, monitors the use of departmental motor vehicles, and maintains liaison with building management. Requests for proposals and contract awards are reviewed by the Division for compliance with State purchasing regulations. The Division also coordinates data and word processing, and operates the Department's central computer.

Under the Division are five offices: Budget and Finance; Contracts and Procurements; General Services; Human Resources; and Information Services.


DIVISION OF FINANCING PROGRAMS

The Division of Financing Programs is responsible for the Community Development Block Grant for Economic Development; the Community Financing Group; Day-Care Financing Programs; the Investment Financing Group; the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority; the Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority; and the Trade Finance Program.

COMMUNITY FINANCING GROUP

The Community Financing Group started in April 1991. It consists of the Maryland Industrial and Commercial Redevelopment Fund, the Maryland Industrial Land Act Program, and the Community Development Block Grant Program.

The Maryland Industrial and Commercial Redevelopment Fund (MICRF) began operations in 1980. To support local commercial or industrial redevelopment efforts, the Fund administers State loans, grants, and loan guarantees to local governments.

Fund money is used to encourage private investment in industrial and commercial redevelopment projects that retain or create jobs and increase tax revenues. MICRF funds may be used directly by a local jurisdiction, or passed through to a third party committed to carrying out the project (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-801 through 5-807).

The Maryland Industrial Land Act (MILA) Program started in 1972 (Chapter 360, Acts of 1972). The intent of the Program is to ensure appropriate sites for industry throughout the State. The Program may acquire and preserve such sites for the State in partnership with local governments (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-701 through 5-715).

Annually, Maryland receives federal funds from the Community Development Block Grant Program administered by the Department of Housing and Community Development. A portion of those funds is set aside to provide loans and grants to municipalities for economic development with an industrial or commercial focus. That set-aside amount is overseen by the Community Financing Group.

DAY-CARE FINANCING PROGRAMS

Formed in 1988, Day-Care Financing Programs administers three funds to expand quality day care in Maryland and aid day-care developers and employers. The financing funds assist small business owners.

The Day-Care Facilities Loan Guarantee Fund was organized in 1983 to help small businesses providing day care (Chapter 585, Acts of 1983). The Fund guarantees up to 80 percent of loans by a bank or private lender. It is available to day-care centers for infants, toddlers, and preschool-age children, as well as elderly and medically handicapped adults. Loans can be used for the purchase of land, equipment, and supplies; renovation; building construction; and working capital (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 6-101 through 6-113).

The Child-Care Facilities Direct Loan Fund was formed in 1988 (Chapter 248, Acts of 1988). To day-care providers, the Fund lends up to 50 percent of the cost of construction, renovation, or acquisition of real property. It may not be used to finance the purchase of equipment and supplies. Neither may it be used as working capital, nor to refinance existing liens. For in-home day care, a minimum amount of $15,000 may be borrowed from the Fund (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 6-201 through 6-213).

The Child-Care Special Loan Fund began in 1992 (Chapter 50, Acts of 1992). The Fund lends child-care providers from $1,000 to $10,000 to expand or improve their facilities, meet State and local licensing requirements, and improve the quality of care (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 6-301 through 6-312).

INVESTMENT FINANCING GROUP

The Investment Financing Group was organized in 1995. The Group provides for direct investment in Maryland companies through three programs: Challenge Investment; Enterprise Investment; and Maryland Venture Capital Trust.

The Challenge Investment Program may invest $50,000 as "seed money" in a technology-driven Maryland company. Matched with $50,000 from a co-investor, the Program provides a new business with $100,000 in capital. The investment is to be repaid over a ten-year period. Annually, the Program invests $500,000, making five $50,000 investments, every six months.

The Enterprise Investment Fund was created in late 1993. The Fund enables the Department to make direct equity investments in "second-stage" technology-driven businesses in Maryland. Investments range from $150,000 to $250,000. The decision to invest is based on the potential return, the range of economic development, and the number of jobs that will be created. Requiring a three-to-one co-investor match, the Fund expects to make five to six investments annually.

The Maryland Venture Capital Trust also is administered by the Department through the Investment Financing Group.

MARYLAND INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT FINANCING AUTHORITY

The Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority was created in 1965 (Chapter 714, Acts of 1965). The Authority assists businesses seeking to locate or expand operations in Maryland. Financial aid is offered through four loan-financing programs: Traditional Bond; Conventional Loan; Maryland Enterprise Incentive Deposit Fund; and Maryland Seafood and Aquaculture Loan Fund.

Under the tax-exempt Traditional Bond Programs, nonprofit organizations (501(c)(3)) can finance land acquisition and the purchase of all types of buildings and equipment. The Bond Insurance Fund is used as reserves for financial assistance provided under the Bond Programs. The Bond Programs benefit companies by providing loans for a higher percentage of the costs of the facility, at a lower interest rate, and for a longer term than conventional financing.

Through the Traditional Bond Program and its Bond Insurance Fund, the Authority may insure all or any part of the payments of principal and interest under tax-exempt economic development revenue bonds issued by Maryland counties, municipalities, industrial development authorities, and other Maryland public bodies to finance a specific facility for a manufacturing company. There is a $5 million ceiling on the insurance for each transaction. Certain revenue bonds are exempt from federal and Maryland income tax (but not from real estate or personal property taxes). Therefore, interest rates on these bonds are generally lower than interest rates on conventional loans.

The Authority also may issue bonds under and in accordance with the Maryland Economic Development Revenue Bond Act.

Under its Conventional Loan Program, the Authority insures conventional loans made by financial institutions. The Authorized Purpose Insurance Fund is used as reserves for loans and other obligations insured under the Conventional Loan Program.

By the Conventional Loan Program or the Export Financing Program, the Authority may insure a loan or other obligation, or pay or insure the payment of premiums or fees for insurance, guarantees, or other credit support from a third party. Insurance provided by the Authority may not exceed the lesser of either 80 percent (or 90 percent in the case of export financing) of the sum of the principal amount of the loan or other obligations plus accrued interest thereon, or $1 million per transaction.

To participate in programs of the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority, a company must qualify generally in each of three basic categories: legal eligibility, economic impact, and creditworthiness (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-901 through 5-941; Federal Internal Revenue Code, sec. 146).

The Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority also administers the Maryland Enterprise Incentive Deposit Fund. Started in 1989, the Fund assists eligible small businesses in fixed asset financing (Chapter 822, Acts of 1989). This financing assistance is provided through the placement of a certificate of deposit with a participating lender who agrees to make a five-year term loan to the business at a loan interest rate three percent less than the rate normally charged. Concurrently, the Fund agrees to accept an interest rate on the certificate which is three percent less than the market rate on certificates of similar maturity. This assistance may not exceed $500,000.

An eligible business is a for-profit business, employing 500 people or less, located in a county with a population of less than 200,000 and an unemployment rate of at least 130 percent of the rate for the State during the most recent four consecutive quarters.

Established in 1990, the Maryland Seafood and Aquaculture Loan Fund fosters expansion, modernization, and innovation in the seafood processing and aquaculture industries (Chapter 511, Acts of 1990). Administered by the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority, the Fund can provide a loan of up to half the cost of a project with the maximum loan being $250,000. The interest rate on loans is fixed at a rate below the prime rate of interest at the time the loan is approved. Loans may be used for equipment, real estate acquisition, and construction of aquaculture parks, but not for working capital. The maximum loan term is 20 years.

The Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority has nine members. Seven are named to five-year terms by the Secretary of Business and Economic Development with the Governor's approval. The Secretary of Business and Economic Development, and either the State Treasurer or Comptroller of the Treasury, as designated by the Governor, serve ex officio. The Authority appoints the Executive Director who serves as Secretary (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-904 through 5-913).

MARYLAND ENERGY FINANCING ADMINISTRATION
Created in 1981 in response to federal funding initiatives for energy conservation and alternative source development, the Maryland Energy Financing Administration became affiliated with the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority in 1988 (Chapter 141, Acts of 1988).

The Administration provides financial assistance to Maryland businesses for energy conservation or generation projects. It issues tax-exempt or taxable-rate revenue bonds or notes which provide below-market interest rates. If necessary, the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority may insure all or part of such obligations.

MARYLAND SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT FINANCING AUTHORITY

The Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority began in 1978 (Chapter 879, Acts of 1978). To provide financial assistance to socially and economically disadvantaged persons who own small businesses within the State, the Authority administers four programs.

Government Contract Financing Program. For eligible firms with government or public utility contracts, the Authority may guarantee a loan from a financial institution; it also may provide a direct loan for working capital and equipment. These guarantees or loans may be offered only to fulfill contracts on projects financed by federal, State or local government, or by a utility regulated by the Public Service Commission.

Long-Term Guarantee Program. For all eligible firms, the Authority may guarantee and/ or pay an interest rate subsidy on a long-term loan made by a financial institution. The loan may be used for working capital, acquisition and related installation of machinery and equipment, or needed improvements to real property owned by the applicant.

Equity Participation Investment Program. For all eligible firms, the Authority may invest up to 45 percent or $100,000 (whichever is less) of funds to start a franchise operation. The Authority also may invest up to 25 percent or $500,000 (whichever is less) of funds to acquire a profitable business. For each of these options the Authority requires the initial investment to be recovered within seven years. The Authority also may invest up to $500,000 in technology-based businesses.

Surety Bonding Programs. For any small contractor, the Guaranty Assistance Program helps secure bonding by guaranteeing up to 90 percent of the losses that a surety company incurs in the event of a breach of contract. Total exposure may not exceed $900,000. All small businesses also are eligible for the Direct Bonding Program. Small contractors secure bonding by issuing bid, performance and payment bonds directly. Bonds issued under this program cannot exceed $250,000 each.

Programs of the Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority are unique. A major criterion for approval of Authority guarantees and loans is the economic impact resulting from the use of available funds. This impact is measured according to the projected number of jobs retained and created, and the projected amount of tax revenue generated from the use of these funds.

Since 1994, funds under the Authority have been managed privately. In 1992, the U.S. Congress allowed states to use public funds to establish specialized small business investment companies to serve disadvantaged business owners (P.L. 102-366). Two years later, the Maryland Small Business Development Financing Administration was authorized to organize itself into a private Maryland corporation that would be such a company (Chapter 691, Acts of 1994). The Department contracted with that privatized organization to administer programs for a period of three years and has an option to renew the contract for two years.

The Authority has nine members. Seven are appointed to five-year terms by the Governor. The Secretary of Business and Economic Development and either the State Treasurer or Comptroller, as designated by the Governor, serve ex officio (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 5-1001 through 5-1012).

TRADE FINANCE PROGRAM

To encourage Maryland businesses to export Maryland products and services, the Trade Finance Program was established under the Maryland Industrial Development Financing Authority. The Program provides pre-export working capital and financing of shipments abroad. With the Authority serving as an insurer of the obligation, financing is provided by lending institutions.

The Trade Finance Program also works with the Export-Import Bank of the United States (Eximbank). To help Maryland businesses obtain financing assistance from Eximbank, the Program packages Eximbank's Working Capital Guarantee Program applications and obtains foreign credit-risk protection, loans, and loan guarantees for foreign buyer financing.


DIVISION OF MARKETING

The Division of Marketing originated in 1959 when the Department of Economic Development was created to encourage businesses to locate in Maryland and to retain and expand existing enterprises (Chapter 185, Acts of 1959). These functions later devolved on the Division of Business Development. In 1995, it was renamed Division of Marketing. By attracting new and expanding businesses, the Division helps create jobs and improve the State's economy. The Division assists domestic and international firms in finding attractive locations in Maryland and works to maintain an environment where business thrives.

Within the Division of Marketing are three offices: Business and Economic Research; Business Development; and International Business.

OFFICE OF BUSINESS & ECONOMIC RESEARCH

The Office of Business and Economic Research conducts in-depth research on business and economic development issues for the Department and other State government agencies. It also provides information for businesses seeking to locate or expand in Maryland. The Office analyzes savings realized in enterprise zones; compares tax structures in states; and provides information about State, property and income taxes, and regulatory costs.

The State Enterprise Zone Program is overseen by the Office. The Program helps local governments promote economic development in their areas, or zones. To encourage businesses to locate, expand, or remain within the zone, local governments grant property tax credits. Tax credits also become incentives for businesses to create jobs. Certified new and existing businesses are eligible for local property tax credits equal to 80 percent of the additional tax assessed for improvements for five years; thereafter, smaller credits are given for an additional five years.

BUSINESS RESEARCH GROUP
The Business Research Group provides the Department with analyses, information, and studies on business development projects.

ECONOMIC RESEARCH GROUP
The Economic Research Group provides the Department with in-depth analyses of issues having implications for Maryland's business and commerce.

OFFICE OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT

The Office of Business Development originated in 1991 as National Business Development. It was renamed the Business Development Group in 1992 and resumed its earlier name in 1994. In 1995, it was renamed Office of Business Development.

In this country and abroad, the Office conducts marketing campaigns to encourage the location and development of new business in Maryland. It provides information to corporations about the economic resources of the State, including raw materials, power and water resources, transportation facilities, markets, labor, banking and financing options, industrial sites, and incentives offered by the State.

Under the Office are two programs: Business Location Assistance, and National Marketing.

BUSINESS LOCATION ASSISTANCE
Business Location Assistance was created in 1991 as the Business Location Group and renamed Business Location Assistance in 1997. This unit assists businesses interested in Maryland. It advises them on the best place to locate their business and the financial, technical and training resources available to them.

NATIONAL MARKETING
National Marketing began as National Trade Shows and Missions and received its present name in 1997. This unit conducts a national marketing campaign to attract new economic activity to Maryland. With a special events coordinating team, the unit seeks to gain recognition for Maryland among individuals, organizations, and corporations which might relocate. It works to convey the State's pro-business environment and generate business leads.

OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS

In 1985, the Office of International Business started as the Office of International Trade. It was reformed as the Maryland International Division in 1988 by the Department and in 1994 by statute (Chapter 257, Acts of 1994). In 1995, the Division became the Office of International Trade (Chapter 120, Acts of 1995). Placed under the Division of Marketing in 1995, the Office was renamed Office of International Business in 1996 (Chapter 321, Acts of 1996).

The Office directs and coordinates State efforts to promote international business development. Its goal is to expand job and income opportunities through international trade, commerce, and reverse investment programs.

The Office helps Maryland firms sell their products and services in the international marketplace through participation in international trade fairs and promotional events. The Office also encourages foreign companies to locate new business enterprises in Maryland and retain or expand international enterprises here. The work of the Office is coordinated with federal, State and local agencies.

Within the Office are five units: Export Manager; Foreign Investment; Maryland Trade Assistance; Trade Development; and Trade Promotion.

FOREIGN INVESTMENT GROUP
Formerly under the Maryland International Division, the Foreign Investment Group began in 1992 as the Office of Foreign Investment and became the Office of Inward Investment in 1994. It was renamed the Foreign Investment Group in 1995.

The Group was organized by the Department to encourage international businesses to locate and invest in Maryland. The Group advises foreign-owned companies interested in Maryland on the best place to locate their business and on the financial, technical and training resources available to them.

TRADE DEVELOPMENT
In 1988, Trade Development was formed by the Department as the Office of International Business Development. Reorganized as the Office of Developing Markets in 1992, and as International Trade Development in 1995, it received its present name in 1997.

Trade Development assists Maryland firms in exporting their products and services to international markets. The unit helps these businesses effectively initiate or expand their overseas marketing.

TRADE PROMOTION GROUP
In 1992, the Trade Promotion Group was established by the Department as the Office of Marketing and Operations. It was renamed in 1995.

The Trade Promotion Group builds alliances in the international community, bringing trade intelligence and opportunities to Maryland companies. The Group also manages events and coordinates international trade missions. It works to uncover and promote world markets, as well as project and trade opportunities for Maryland businesses. In addition, the Group is responsible for the Sister States Program.


DIVISION OF REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT

The Division of Regional Development began in 1991 as the Division of Business Resources. It was reorganized under its present name in 1995.

The Division forms productive relationships between the Department and public and private regional economic development organizations. The Division coordinates programs and strategies that help companies and regions become even more competitive and productive.

Under the Division are four offices: Business Advocacy; Community Assistance; Regional Response; and Technology Support.

OFFICE OF BUSINESS ADVOCACY

The Office of Business Advocacy began in 1993 as the Office of Regulatory and Environmental Assistance and was reorganized under its present name in January 1997.

Created to facilitate communication between the business community and government, the Office provides a regional ombudsman service to Maryland businesses, guides them through the regulatory and permitting processes, and acts as a source of information about government for them. The Office works to enhance Maryland's business environment by reviewing proposed legislation and analyzing its impact on economic growth. By identifying any duplicative, excessive or cumbersome regulations at all levels of government, the Office removes obstacles for business.

OFFICE OF COMMUNITY ASSISTANCE

In April 1998, the Office of Community Assistance was formed within the Division of Regional Development.

OFFICE OF REGIONAL RESPONSE

The Office of Regional Response was created as the Maryland Business Assistance Center under the Division of Business Development. In 1991, Center functions were reorganized as the Office of Business Assistance under the Division of Business Resources. The Office became Business Assistance in 1993 and Office of Regional Response in 1995.

Through four regional offices, the Office works directly with Maryland businesses. It serves as liaison to the many State programs and services designed to enhance the competitiveness of Maryland businesses. The Office also oversees the Maryland Industrial Training Program and serves as an advocate for business in dealing with government-related issues and problems.

MARYLAND INDUSTRIAL TRAINING PROGRAM
To develop new workforces and underwrite the training necessary to start and expand operations, the Maryland Industrial Training Program gives grants to businesses. It helps firms use the Maryland Job Service to determine staffing needs and recruit employees. The Program also links businesses to other State services, to resources available for productivity and training needs assessments, and to training curricula and resources for curriculum development.

OFFICE OF TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT

The Office of Technology Support started as the Office of Technology Development in January 1989. It reformed as the Technology Commercialization Program in 1993, and as the Office of Federal Response and Technology Commercialization in 1995. It received its present name in March 1998.

The Office stimulates development, application, and commercialization of new technologies for Maryland industries concerned with manufacturing, information services, biotechnology, aerospace, and environmental technology. In this way, it works to retain and expand existing firms and encourage new enterprises within the State.

To support technology businesses, the Office coordinates and leverages resources in the public, private and academic sectors. It also serves as liaison to federal government agencies located in Maryland. In addition, the office provides financial support and training grants to companies affected by federal budget cuts and relocations.


DIVISION OF TOURISM, FILM, & THE ARTS

The Division of Tourism, Film, and the Arts began in 1948 as the Department of Information under the Hall of Records Commission. The Department became an independent agency in 1949. In 1959, it was reorganized as the Tourist Development and Publicity Division within the Department of Economic Development. When the Department of Economic and Community Development formed, the Division was renamed the Tourism Division in 1970, the Division of Tourist Development by 1973, and the Tourist Development Office by 1981. By 1989, the Office reorganized as part of the Division of Tourism and Promotion. It received its present name in 1996 (Chapter 321, Acts of 1996).

The Division promotes Maryland as a destination for domestic and international travelers. The Division also supports the performing, visual and creative arts and promotes Maryland as a location for film and television production.

Under the Division are the Maryland State Arts Council, the Maryland Film Office, and the Office of Tourism Development.

MARYLAND STATE ARTS COUNCIL

601 North Howard St.
Baltimore, MD 21201

In 1966, the Maryland State Arts Council originated as the Governor's Council on the Arts in Maryland, established by Executive Order. It became the Maryland State Arts Council in 1967 (Chapter 644, Acts of 1967). Formerly under the Department of Economic and Community Development, the Council joined the Department of Economic and Employment Development in 1987 (Chapter 311, Acts of 1987), and the Department of Business and Economic Development in 1995 (Chapter 120, Acts of 1995).

The Maryland State Arts Council supports the performing, visual and creative arts, including dance, drama, music drama, architecture, painting, sculpture, graphics, crafts, photography, design, film, television and creative writing (Code 1957, Art. 83A, sec. 4-608). The Council makes grants to individual artists, arts organizations, and county arts councils. Through the Council, some 210 arts organizations receive operating grants which support performances and exhibitions and the work of artists throughout the State. The Council also conducts programs of its own: Fine Arts in Public Places Program, Artists in Education Program, Arts Facility Assistance Program, and State Folklife Program. Annually, the Council receives a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts for program support.

The Council has seventeen members. Thirteen are appointed to three-year terms by the Governor in consultation with the Secretary of Business and Economic Development. Two (one a senator) are appointed by the Senate President, and two (one a delegate) are appointed by the House Speaker (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 4-601 through 4-609).

MARYLAND FILM OFFICE

The Maryland Film Office began in 1980 as the Motion Picture and Television Development Office (Chapter 5, Acts of 1980). The Office became part of the Department of Economic and Employment Development in 1987 (Chapter 311, Acts of 1987). After being placed under the Maryland State Arts Council in 1992, the Office was reformed as a separate entity in 1994 and made part of the Department of Business and Economic Development in 1995. It was renamed the Maryland Film Office in 1997 (Chapter 49, Acts of 1997; Code 1957, Art. 83A, sec. 4-401).

For film and video production, the Office promotes Maryland's diverse locations. For feature films, and television programs and commercials, it works to provide facilities throughout the State. The Office helps with location scouting, permits, casting, film crew housing, catering, and equipment rental. The Office also prepares and distributes materials highlighting desirable film locations in the State.

In 1993, the Office assisted in bringing the following films to Maryland:

In 1994, Boys, directed by Stacy Cochran, was filmed in Maryland, and in 1995 came

In 1996, the Office helped bring the following films to Maryland:

In 1997 (as of August), the following films have used Maryland locations:

Also, the television series Homicide: Life on the Streets has filmed on location in Baltimore since 1992.

OFFICE OF TOURISM DEVELOPMENT

Tourism has an economic impact on Maryland by creating jobs, generating tax revenue, and increasing business income. In 1995, tourist spending produced an estimated $5.7 billion, generating over 86,000 jobs and $421 million in tax revenue.

To increase tourism, the Office of Tourism Development showcases Maryland's unique recreational, historical and cultural attractions. The Office promotes Maryland as a travel destination for domestic and international tourists. It publicizes major events and advises travel agents, tour operators, writers, and the Maryland travel industry about attractions, services, and facilities.

Free publications describing Maryland tourist attractions, accommodations, historic sites, State parks, camping facilities, and recreational opportunities are updated annually. These publications include Destination Maryland (travel and outdoor guide), Maryland Calendar of Events, and an official Maryland State highway map. The Office also works with travel and outdoor writers to provide tours of Maryland, research and information, and promotional photographs.

In addition to answering mail and phone inquiries, the Office runs a visitors' center and guide service at the State House in Annapolis, and ten highway information centers. The Office's matching funds and cooperative marketing programs strengthen and support county and regional travel promotion councils as well.

MARYLAND TOURISM DEVELOPMENT BOARD
The Maryland Tourism Development Board was formed in 1993 (Chapter 625, Acts of 1993). The Board stimulates and promotes travel and tourism in Maryland. Subject to the approval of the Secretary of Business and Economic Development and the Maryland Economic Development Commission, the Board formulates a five-year strategic plan, an annual marketing plan, and an annual operating budget.

The Board works to protect, preserve, promote, and restore the natural, historical, scenic and cultural resources of Maryland; encourages the development of new tourism resources, products, businesses, and attractions in the State; and helps tourists travel through Maryland by ensuring the provision of signs, information aids, and other services. The Board evaluates the impact of taxes, fees, licenses, and regulations on the creation of jobs and income in the tourism industry. The Maryland Tourism Development Board Fund may be used by the Board to plan, advertise, and develop tourism and travel industries in the State.

Fifteen members constitute the Board. Eleven are appointed to three-year terms by the Governor with advice of the Secretary of Business and Economic Development and Senate advice and consent. Two are named by the Senate President and two by the House Speaker (Code 1957, Art. 83A, secs. 4-201 through 4-209).

Maryland Executive Departments


Maryland Manual On-Line

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 1998

July 10, 1998   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 06, 1998 Maryland State Archives