DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

FORMER SECRETARY


[Photograph of Department Secretary]

LEWIS R. RILEY, Secretary of Agriculture, 1994-98

Secretary of Agriculture, 1994-98. Deputy Secretary of Agriculture, 1992-94.

Member, County Council, Wicomico County, 1966-78 (president, four years; vice-president, four years).

Member, House of Delegates, 1979-87. Minority Whip, 1982-87. Member, Environmental Matters Committee; Ways and Means Committee.

Member, State Senate, 1987-92. Member, Finance Committee, 1987-89; Budget and Taxation Committee, 1990-92; Joint Committee on Investigation.

Member, Board of Regents, University of Maryland System, 1994-98; Governor's Executive Council, 1994-98; Maryland Agricultural Land Preservation Foundation, 1994-98; Governor's Council on the Chesapeake Bay, 1994-98; Maryland Food Center Authority, 1994-98; Governor's Pesticide Council, 1994-98; Scenic and Wild Rivers Review Board, 1994-98; State Soil Conservation Committee, 1994-98. Former member, Citizens Advisory Board for Holly Center; Delmarva Advisory Council.

Born in Parsonsburg, Maryland, February 19, 1935. Graduate of Wicomico Senior High School. Farmer; poultryman; businessman. President, Maryland Association of Counties, 1973. Member and past president, Parsonsburg Volunteer Fire Department. Member, Wicomico Farm Bureau. Advisory Board, First National Bank. President, Beaver Run Farms, Inc., a family farm corporation operated with his son, producing grain, swine, and poultry. Board of Directors, Delmarva Poultry Industry. Director, Farmers and Planters Company.

Maryland Executive Departments
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 1998

July 10, 1998   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 06, 1998 Maryland State Archives