From the founding of Maryland in 1634, however, St. Mary's City was the first seat of Maryland's colonial government. In 1694, the General Assembly designated Anne Arundel Town as the capital and, in February 1694/5, the government moved there. After Queen Mary's death in December 1694, Anne Arundel Town was renamed Annapolis for her sister, the heiress apparent, Princess Anne.
Historic St. Mary's City still can be visited today. In southern Maryland, it is located in St. Mary's County.
State House, Annapolis, Maryland. Photo by James Hefelfinger
(Hefelfinger Collection, MSA SC 1885-763-2, Maryland State Archives)
July 10, 1998
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites. View the current Manual